“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09/8/2014 6:00 pm  #1

Got out of jail

We were a bit fortunate today to come away with a point. We were on the back foot for most of the first half and Merstham deservedly took the lead after about 20mins, even though the header was preventable.  Things got worse 10 minutes later when Tom Jelley got sent off for a second yellow.  I thought that they were both yellow card offences at the time. Luckily for us Merstham seemed to want to sit back on their lead, although we didn't seem able to cause them many problems either.  As the 2nd half wore on we gradually started to play a bit more football in their half.  Craig made a couple of attacking substitutions and we began to make sporadic forays into their box, although we needed a great save by Smith and a clearance off the line by Cheadle to keep us in it.  Then on 84 minutes Knock played a nice 1-2 on the edge of the box and managed to get a shot away.  The keeper only managed to palm his effort into the air where Watkins was on hand to head in from close range.  I expected Merstham to come at us for the last 5 minutes, but it was Watkins who came closest to nabbing a winner in the dying seconds.

Overall, it was a sluggish performance by us, and we hardly had any good possesion in their half.  But we stayed patient with 10 men and took a few risks later on and it paid off.  

09/8/2014 8:56 pm  #2

Re: Got out of jail

Cant say I totally agree with Endo that we were fortunate to come away with a point today, certainly for the best part of 60minutes we were finding it hard but the game for me changed when Summers came on, at last we had someone with the ability to fight for the ball and support Craig Watkins, who up until then was taking Merstam defenders on, on his own, nobody seemed to want to get up with him and give him some support. After that I felt that we wanted it more than them, and started to pressure their goal with some good football and certainly looked the most likely team to score, when we did I felt it was no more than our endevour deserved. Good fortune, yes we had a bit of that, but the reason we got a point today is because we did not give up, even with ten men, if anything we fought harder, so well done Tooting, you can only take pleasure from the result, as today you took on the league favourites, with ten men, and nearly pulled off a fine win.
Like you Gary, I feel Summers and Watkins could form the basis of a strong front line, at last we have a forward in Summers  who is not afraid to mix it, something we have been lacking for the past several seasons.

Last edited by alanj (09/8/2014 8:59 pm)

11/8/2014 1:21 pm  #3

Re: Got out of jail

I have to say, the game was pretty poor orthough it did liven up a bit in the second half, the goal was good and the look on the goal keepers face when the ball went in was priceless, well worth admission fee on it's own. Hopefully the next games will improve, can't get more interested with the cricket scores on my phone, it finishes soon!

Board footera