“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23/8/2014 5:10 pm  #1

T&M 4 Three Bridges 0

A comfortable win against a poor Three Bridges team that was lucky to finish with as many as ten players on the pitch. Goals from Newton, Summers, Pinnock and Clarke. Very satisfying. But please sort out the corners, Craig. If we are going to persist with the short ones at least aim for them to finish up somewhere near the opposition's goal, not back in our own half !

Last edited by Tartan Terror (23/8/2014 7:01 pm)

23/8/2014 10:36 pm  #2

Re: T&M 4 Three Bridges 0

Perhaps I can try and shed some light on the short corners as they seem to be causing so much consternation, even today from those in the stand well away from the W&S brigade.

Ours is not a team of multiple 6'5 stout yeoman, either up front or at the back.  That is why we get to watch so much entertaining football played on the floor, even if some of it played forward from the keeper via the back 4 is giving us kittens - at the moment.

Analysis by the management team showed that we conceded in excess of 12 goals from quick breaks directly following our own corners last season.
So if we simply lump corners in to the box they actually have greater potential to cost us goals rather than gain us goals.
Therefore we are trying short corners, originally designed with the injured Max Noble in mind (more of him later), using the dribbling skills of Clarke and Newton.  And you can't deny that they have created chances/goals in recent games.
That is also why you are seeing Jordan C staying back and not up in the box.
Although they don't always work out would most agree that plan seems to be working?  No?   Really?

As for Max, the good news from his meeting with the consultant on Monday to review the scan was that it is not the full ACL cruciate ligament injury that would see him out all season.
Two months of rest and treatment should see him back.  Fantastic news eh

24/8/2014 7:32 am  #3

A good second half performance against a poor Three Bridges team. Yes Jordan Clarke's goal must be a contender for goal of the season.
On the subject of corners. I know some of the crowd in the stand were complaining that we kept taking short corners and Bondy explaining only too well why we are. I totally agree with him, however these short corners are so pathectic that surely it couldn't be any worse to revert to long corners in the hope that it may fall to someones feet.
Lets hope we can move forward and continue this good form against Carshalton. And please don't go and lose to Three Bridges next Saturday. A good cup run is overdue.

24/8/2014 6:12 pm  #4

Not this season Gary.   This was analysis of goals conceded last season and thinking about what could be  done about it.
Although I certainly acknowledge that they do not always look that pretty or work out quite as intended I do think they have resulted in a fair number of chances.

All a work in progress

Board footera