“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13/9/2014 6:50 pm  #1

Cray v Tooting match report

The benign opening 89 minutes of this game gave little hint of the drama that was to unfold in the closing moments of this somewhat lack lustre encounter.

The only moment of note in the first half came on 40 mins when a probing ball from David Graves down the right-hand side intended for Sol Pinnock was intercepted at speed by Tom Jelley who was making a darting run into the Wands' penalty area. Despite the pace at which he took the ball he was able to keep it under control cut inside and toe poke the ball goalwards. As the ball sailed over the head of Darren Bechet, the slight deflection it took on the way caused it to dip sharply as it dropped in under the crossbar and into the roof of the net. HT 0-1 to The Terrors

There was no meaningful action in the second half until the 61st minute.  A long ball from Cheadle found Billy Marshall on the edge of the box, who then turned the ball inside to Liam Wright who screwed his shot wide of Bechet's right-hand post. 10 minutes later Billy Marshall broke clear and this time fired his shot straight at the former Terrors' No.1. In the very next minute, new boy Liam Wright found himself in the clear. From just inside the box he tried to chip/flick the ball over the advancing Bechet however his effort went just over the bar. This was his final piece of action as a double substitution by Craig Tanner in the 72nd minute saw Wright and Marshall replaced by TJ Nkoma and Howard Newton. 7 minutes later, Elliot Simpson came on for Jordan Clarke.

No sooner had Tooting made their final change than Cray broke forward and from the ensuing shot were awarded at best, a very questionable corner. The result was a high hanging ball put into the Tooting box which was met with a firm header by one of Wanderers' centre backs which sent the ball past Paul Smith and into the net to make it 1-1.

On 84 mins a well worked move saw a curling left foot shot from Sol Pinnock on the edge of the box which just went the wrong side of the upright. 4 minutes later Howard Newton carried the ball forward and finding himself in space 25 yards out took a firm strike on goal only to see his shot go safely into the arms of Darren Bechet.

In the 89th minute a free kick on the left found TJ in space. He carried the ball, cut into the box and shot but ballooned the ball over the bar. In the final minute of normal time, Elliot Simpson clipped the ball in from the left onto the head of Sol Pinnock but he was unable to to get his effort on target.

From the resultant re-start, Cray broke forward however their attack was abruptly broken up as the player in possession was brought down by David Graves just inside the Tooting half for which he received a straight red card. From the free kick that followed, the ball broke loose in the Tooting box however the shot that then came in was fired straight at Paul Smith who was able to keep the ball out however along with 2 other Terrors' defenders, was injured in the process. After a delay of several minutes the game was restarted however not before Nathan Gordon was booked for time wasting.

By now the game was well into stoppage time and in the 101st minute, some sloppy Cray passing just inside their own half saw TJ take possession of the ball, weave his way between two players and head into the box. Meanwhile Sol Pinnock made a darting run towards the penalty spot in support as everyone waited for TJ to pull the ball back to him. But no. TJ decide to continue to head toward the bye line, took the ball round the advancing Bechet and from a yard short of the line managed to find the finest of angles to strike the ball, left footed, into the back of the Cray net to send the couple of dozen or so Terrors fans behind the goal, the players and the entire bench into raptures of delight. Not that it mattered however the over exuberant celebrations saw yellow cards issued to TJ for removing his shirt and the substituted Jordan Clarke who chose to return to the pitch to join in the celebrations. FT 1-2 to The Terrors. Att 155

Tooting line up; Smith, Jelley, Gordon, Graves, Cheadle, Knock, Clarke (Simpson), Quarm, Pinnock, Marshall (Newton), Wright (Nkoma). Unused subs; Hartburn, H Cheadle, Aiken-Simon and Murphy

Last edited by Tim Marcus (13/9/2014 6:56 pm)

13/9/2014 8:39 pm  #2

Re: Cray v Tooting match report

I don`t feel you do the lad`s justice Tim, all fourteen were heroe`s today, as despite the best effort`s of the referee they continued to play fotball in the correct way, not like the big lump of a forward for Cray whose sole, aim today was to put any shirt that was black and white,or grey,into the goal. Some of their tackling bordered upon assault and was allowed to carry on by the referee, throughout the game. In the end the spoils went to the rightous, and justly so.
After the disappointment of Wednesday it is nice to get back into winning ways, now let us keep it up and show the cloggers that their is another way to play the game.
Well done all the lads, and of course the management, you have given the black and white faithful their pride back, long may it continue.

13/9/2014 9:04 pm  #3

Football is a game of opinions. Wouldn't it be boring if we all thought the same and just agreed with each other all of the time

13/9/2014 9:23 pm  #4

Could not agree more Tim, see you Tuesday, when hopefully we can continue our winning run!

13/9/2014 9:47 pm  #5

Great win for the lads, however it came about.

I had thought of scouting Tiverton v Bideford in case either were our next opponents.
But a 0-0 draw sees them hanging.

Kept in touch through the Ryman live scores which announced a red card for Harry Knock.
Then cancelled it!
But no mention of a red for Graves.  What a checkered start he is having for us.

What on earth is Darren doing at Cray!!!!!   What a waste.

Looking forward to the draw on Monday.  We can all dream eh.

Last edited by Bondy (13/9/2014 9:48 pm)

14/9/2014 7:18 am  #6

On holiday in Devon Gary.
(Hence the reference to scouting at the Tiverton game.)

Hoping to convince the tolerant and understanding Mrs Bondy to drop me off at CC next Sat on the way home.

14/9/2014 9:14 am  #7

My apologies to Tom Jelley. Having just seen Mark Fretwell's short video clip of his goal yesterday he clearly deserves far more credit for his strike than I gave him in my report. Less of a toe poke and more of a very well taken strike on the run with the outside of his right foot

14/9/2014 1:29 pm  #8

Tim Marcus wrote:

No sooner had Tooting made their final change than Cray broke forward and from the ensuing shot were awarded at best, a very questionable corner. The result was a high hanging ball put into the Tooting box which was met with a firm header by one of Wanderers' centre backs which sent the ball past Paul Smith and into the net to make it 1-1.

Are you sure that this was not a short corner Tim?  We keep being told that long corners do not produce goals...

14/9/2014 2:06 pm  #9

Not quite Ev - I think what we are told is long corners do produce goals but more often than not for the opposition - especially when we take them!!

14/9/2014 4:11 pm  #10

Well I hope someone on ourcoaching staff saw what Cray did right...

15/9/2014 8:05 am  #11

Abingdon United won on Saturday and we owe them BIG TIME.

Anyone know what time the draw is today ?

On the short corner debate, of which I am in the 'vary it up a bit' camp, and after the short free kick debacle in the dying seconds at Ramsgate, Dave Irons made me laugh on Saturday when he wondered if we are going to start taking short penalties !!!

Last edited by Bog End Ultra (15/9/2014 8:35 am)

15/9/2014 11:26 am  #12

Bog End Ultra wrote:

Abingdon United won on Saturday and we owe them BIG TIME.

Anyone know what time the draw is today ?

On the short corner debate, of which I am a bit' camp, and after the short free kick debacle in the dying seconds at Ramsgate, Dave Irons made me laugh on Saturday when he wondered if we are going to start taking short penalties !!!

15/9/2014 11:53 am  #13

15/9/2014 5:35 pm  #14

What the video shows, and the report from Tim seems to ignore, is that Tooting had some really good chances in the 1st half to kill that game off.
In particular the clear front of the goal chance for Billy.
Go on son, bury it.    Oh dear.

Great finish by Tom.    And a lovely bit of calm finishing from TJ.

And did I also see us hit the crossbar from a short corner routine.
No, not our own crossbar.   Theirs!

15/9/2014 6:35 pm  #15

Like you Bondy, I too was scouting at Harrogate Town v Solihull Moors. Sadly that too w wasas a complete waste of time even though Moors thrashed 'Gate 4 - 0 !!!
Well done the lads. Here's to a great day out at Storford ! :-):-)
p.s. Thanks to my Bro-in-law Trevor for looking after the programme while I'm away oooop't North.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

15/9/2014 8:14 pm  #16

Bondy. I've just seen the video. Already acknowledged that Tom deserved more credit than I gave him for his goal and  you're right, I failed to mention Billy Marshall landing a shot on the top of the cross bar. As to the several good chances to finish the game off in the first half, I still fail to see them. They were certainly a number in the second half, most of which I believe got a mention. Cleary I don't have your razor sharp reporters eyes - either that or the general pattern of the game during the first 45 minutes simply left me in a cryogenic like state. On the whole I believe my report was a fair reflection. I was there for the full 111 minutes (in body anyway!) not just an 8 minutes highlights  show

15/9/2014 8:23 pm  #17

Certainly no criticism from me of your fine report Tim.
Especially as that might focus attention on my feeble efforts.
More the desire to see, 8/9games in, a bit more clinical finishing from our lads (whoever is fit/available/playing)

15/9/2014 8:33 pm  #18

Clinical finishing? Agree 100%. If we had a clinical finisher, given the quality of passing football we play I do firmly believe that we would be sitting in a top 4 position by now.

16/9/2014 8:02 am  #19

Well done Hally.   
I have tried to spread the sensible word but my seed has fallen on infertile soil.

16/9/2014 11:09 am  #20

Gary, whoever this Hally8 geezer is, it isn't Lee who used to play for us. In fact Lee asked me to make sure all the fans know it's not him. It couldn't be him anyway, how can you play for Corinthian Casuals and watch Tooting & Mitcham at the same time ?

Question for you Hally8, why are you trying to ruin Lee's reputation with the supporters here ? He was popular with the fans and he loved them too.

16/9/2014 11:22 am  #21

Could be a different Lee Hall!!!

16/9/2014 12:00 pm  #22

Yeah thanks Lee. I'm sure you understand the confusion because ' our Lee ' used to not only have the same name as you but he also wore the number 8 shirt.

16/9/2014 12:51 pm  #23

The plot thickens.....I've just had an e-mail from the editor of 'Non League' to say that Chris Jackson is their Tooting & Mitcham correspondent ! Will we have to wait until Sunday to see if there is a report on tonights game by Lee Hall ? I must say his tone wasn't becoming of a journalist from a respected national newspaper.

Just had another e-mail from 'Non League' to say their only contacts here are Chris Jackson and Keith Kelly. Who will the imposter in the Surrey FA tracksuit turn out to be ???

16/9/2014 1:07 pm  #24

Is it really F all? that no good journalist from, the Sun?

16/9/2014 1:16 pm  #25

I only report Saturday games to the Non League Paper.
Non League Paper wasn't mentioned in the earlier email.

Board footera