“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25/10/2014 9:41 am  #1

Carshalton v Guernsey is cancelled today

The Carshalton Twitter feed says "travel issues".  Have they got "travel issues" because they have got trouble getting a team together?

25/10/2014 9:58 am  #2

Re: Carshalton v Guernsey is cancelled today

Today's game between Carshalton Athletic and Guernsey FC has been postponed due to a travel administration error by GFC. 
The team was due to travel to Gatwick this morning but due to a mix-up over flight times was unable to do so. With a high volume of passengers travelling due to the begining of the half-term holiday, no alternative options to accommodate the team were available. Guernsey FC apologises to Carshalton Athletic, The Ryman Isthmian League and to all fans for the regrettable postponement.

25/10/2014 10:04 am  #3

Perhaps some of the disappointed fans might like a trip to Imperial Fields to get their fix?

31/10/2014 12:24 pm  #4

Just read on BBC Sport website that the FA have charged Guernsey with failing to fulfil a scheduled fixture. I fail to share Endo and Gary's cynicism and given the unique logistical problems that Guernsey have to endure I hope the FA cut them some slack. A slap on the wrists at the most I would suggest. What do you think guys ? A points deduction ? relegation ? a whopping great fine ? play their next 12 home games behind closed doors ? automatic expulsion from the FA ?

Give 'em a break eh ?

31/10/2014 12:35 pm  #5

You're probably right.  I was being slightly humorous before, and as it turns out that this was actually a rearranged fixture, I would probably say that it was a genuine mistake.

However, plenty of clubs have made genuine mistakes, particularly with player registrations, and a points deduction is the usual punishment.  So I would expect that - even if it was just 1 point.

31/10/2014 1:40 pm  #6

Points taken fellas............if you'll pardon the pun.

31/10/2014 2:42 pm  #7

That is being really harsh on Guernsey. Surely the FA will reduce the charge to just a warning.
I have to say I do have some sympathy for them, but then again the shoe has been on the other foot in the past and they have capitalised on teams unable to field a full strength squad due to players unable to travel, a good example being against Crawley Down Gatwick 11-0, so they can't have it all there own way.

31/10/2014 5:00 pm  #8

Knowing the FA as we do, it tends to be the small people ( like us) who get a severe punishment, whilst the big boys (those spoilt little brat`s of the premiership) might get a fine, but to them it is just small change.
I fear Guernsey might have to take it on the chin.
Their is a good side to this, imagine if it was that hypocrite Blatter who was making the decision, god only knows what the punishment would be.

31/10/2014 9:41 pm  #9

When you think about it, I do not see an ulterior motive as, when they played us on the Tuesday they had every reason not to travel what with the weather and an incomplete squad, combined with every possibility of coming away without any points, which of course they did, whereas on the Saturday they were playing a much more inferior team, with every probability of coming away with three points.
Let us hope in the interest of fair play that the FA see it in the same light, with at worst a fine for the oversight.
Good luck Guernsey, see you after Christmas when hopefully it will be sorted out to your satisfaction.

03/11/2014 11:23 am  #10

My opinion on this is they knew about the fixture and they sabotaged it deliberately.

Guernsey knew the format of signing up to the footballing pyramid and what commitments they had to make.

But knowing the way the Ryman officials are they will probably bend over for them and have themselves lubed up ready.

I will probably get slaughtered for that but hey ho! I would thou like to give a example of a team who actually did something about the travelling and actually fulfilling fixtures take note.

Newport IOW they knew they couldn't manage financially in the Ryman League structure so asked to be put in the southern league and when they did it was better for them. At the time when they were in the Ryman League they admitted they were losing money, travel was a barstard for them especially a Tuesday night vs Tonbridge but they still fulfilled the fixtures and got on with it they didn't winge they were professional, not seeking public awareness either.

Guernsey I'm afraid will not get sympathy from me neither should any club in the Ryman League. Did they give Molesey any thought when they were moved to the Ryman North division Erm I think not.

The novelty as worn off, if they know better they should either move to the southern division, join the french league or save time and take a voluntary relegation back to the combine counties.

I was lost but now im found

03/11/2014 11:45 am  #11

Blimey! you guys really have it in for them, cut them a bit of slack as a lot of what we assess to be the issue is based on assumption. Only they know what really happened, if they are at fault then yes they should be punished, but it should be kept in perspective, personally if they are at fault then a fine should be sufficient.
I get the feeling that you feel birching might be in order. 

03/11/2014 12:35 pm  #12

I'm just sick of the bull crap excuses,

Guernsey when they first entered the ENGLISH football pyramid at the combine counties level they said on all forms of media and boasted they have a squad of 30 players and this will see as move up within the divisions whilst securing financial backing and the relationship we have and commitment to travelling to mainland England.

Role on a couple of years and they have realised the reality of the situation and they are bricking it like scolded dogs.

They are cleverly using the fact they play in the channel Islands as a excuse and as a sympathy card to get their violins out and to look for clubs to take pitty on them.

I bet if the shoe was on the other foot and let's say a team fucked up going to their place would they be sympathetic?

No matter what happens a team as lost out on gate money, food and paying wages to their players.

End of the day this is a recognised league in the football pyramid ask yourselves would we get away with crap like that.

They know the rules and they have abused it

Last edited by The_Chezzer (03/11/2014 12:37 pm)

I was lost but now im found

03/11/2014 12:46 pm  #13

How can the novelty have worn off ? We've only been there once ! When the fixtures are released before the season starts do you look at them and wonder when we've got Walton Casuals at home or Chipstead away ? I know the first fixture I've looked for the past 2 seasons.

One postponement in 4 years due to travel issues. I'm going to enjoy their presence while it lasts before they disappear over the horizon.

Next time I'm up before the beak it'll be just my luck that Gary and Chezzer will be on jury service ! ''What's that your honour ? inappropriate use of a car horn......send him down !''

03/11/2014 1:08 pm  #14

I'd rather have Molesey than any of the Kent coast teams !!!

I didn't even realise there was any suggestion of them having a depleted squad. Like Alan said, it didn't stop them turning up at ours with a weakened team on the windiest day since the hurricane did it ? when 100's of flights got cancelled. As for deliberate sabotage.....REALLY ??? And would they have any sympathy if the boot was on the other foot ? MOST PROBABLY, YES.

Am I biased cos I had such a good time there last season with the friendliest bunch of supporters I've ever met in my life ? ''Guilty M'Lud''

03/11/2014 1:24 pm  #15

What I am saying Gary is that we do not know the full facts, but if they are guilty as charged, then yes a fine and possibly a point deduction would seem appropriate, but like Bog End, I also look for this fixture first, both home and away, because the hospitality and friendlyness we were shown in Gurnsey is not always found at away grounds,  and on a selfish note I was not unhappy when they did not get promotion in their first year with us,.
Some how Molesey does not have the same charm as Guernsey.
So can I share a cell with Bog End

03/11/2014 1:50 pm  #16

A last request your worship.......a steak & kidney Pukka Pie with HP sauce.

03/11/2014 2:02 pm  #17

As a last wish;
may I have a pint of "Goolies" rather than eat them!

Board footera