“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25/10/2014 5:00 pm  #1

T&M 2 Sittingbourne 0

We won through a goal from Dan Summers and a penalty from Sol Pinnock in the first half. We seemed to lose momentum after Sittingbourne had their keeper sent off for a trip on Frankie Sawyer and Sol fluffed the resultant spot kick. We should have then put their outfield player who went in goals under much more pressure but failed to score any more. Still, a win is a win. And Lewis Goncalves looked a strong signing in central defence.

25/10/2014 7:49 pm  #2

Re: T&M 2 Sittingbourne 0

A curate's egg of a performance.  I thought we were superb for half an hour until the 2nd penalty,  after which we our tempo dropped right off and lacked any penetration.  You could argue that we had a 2 goal cushion against 10 men and therefore just needed to play it safe to see the game out. But I think we could have attacked with a bit more purpose and control in the 2nd half.  Maybe Newton missing the 2nd half disrupted our rhythm a bit. But later in the season, we'll probably look back on this game and consider it 3 good points.

26/10/2014 10:11 am  #3

I understand what you are saying Gary, but we still should have made our superiority count, after all they were a very mediocre side, and when they went down to ten men we should have taken advantage.
I thought the team played well witihin themselves and even with the penalty miss and the score at 2-0 they realised they had the game won and played accordingly, nothing wrong with that as it is after all a long season, but I would hate to miss out on the playoffs on goal difference, you will then look back on games like this and say, if only!

26/10/2014 1:17 pm  #4

I agree with Alan.  If GD decides our fate this year we will look back on the day, when against a team with the keeper sent off with 55 minutes remaining and no reserve keeper, we did not stick a lot more goals in.

27/10/2014 8:47 am  #5

In some respects the sending off and penalty save worked in their favour. Before that we were just carving them open. With one player down they seemed to tighten the defence up and made more of a game of things.
The new goalie saving the penalty also gave them a bit more confidence...

Still... Three points against one of the Kent teams is always welcome.

Board footera