“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08/11/2014 8:25 pm  #1

East Grinstead Tactics

East Grinstead are clearly NOT as good as Tooting & Mitcham as a team or one by one individually. So they Parked The Bus. Simple As. But I can take that. Parking the bus is a very frustrating tactic, and can make you quite angry, but it isn't cheating. There's nothing in the laws of the game to stop it, therefore you NEED to have a method of beating teams who defend and park the bus.

However, I do have a problem with time wasting, especially when it is unpunished like today. I don't understand why the ref doesn't just book a time waster. The time waster then doesn't run the risk of another booking and plays fairly. The ref should have dealt with the time wasting tactics of East Grinstead, but he didn't. 

But overall, we could have broken them down, and in the future we need to have a method to break teams like East Grinstead down.

Come on you stripes!

08/11/2014 8:42 pm  #2

Re: East Grinstead Tactics

One of the reasons why football is such a great game is that it is always possible for the inferior team to beat the superior team. And that is what happened today. EG set up well defensively and we couldn't break them down. Like you say Maarlon, we have to find a way to win this type of game.

Having said that,  EG weren't rubbish like Eastbourne last season,  and I wouldn't be surprised if they stay up.

08/11/2014 9:51 pm  #3

I think credit has to go to East Grinstead today, in the situation they find thermselves in the would have been comitting football suicide had they tried to beat us playing football, sp they came with a game plan, 4 -2 - 4  which whenever we threatened in their half one or both of the two midfielders dropped back making five or six at the back and the front four getting back quickly, not pretty but it proved effective, so stifling our forward play, we played into their hands somewhat by being too laboured at times in getting numbers forward when a break was on so subsequently paid the ultimate price. Very disappointing, but give them credit where credit is due, it is up to us to find a way to break them down. today it proved we could not do that. But this is what makes the game what it is, their is no such thing as a given, as once again a team comes to their "Wembley" ( by this I mean our facilities must impress, and encorouge the opposition) and judging by their previons results, played above themselves.

08/11/2014 9:55 pm  #4

Gutted with todays result... Typical.... Get thinking we get in the play off section of the table and then the footballing Gods kick us in the nuts...

08/11/2014 10:20 pm  #5

Today is why we love this game so much, nothing is ever certain.
But we live to fight another day ( that is not a dig at Howard by the way).

Board footera