“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28/3/2022 5:52 pm  #1

Free Tuesday Night Youth Project Team Football

Merstham FC have announced that they have a friendly at their place against us tomorrow night.
It will be a chance to say hello to our league winning manager Frank Wilson.
7.45 KO at Merstham FC
Free entry and bar will be open.

Last edited by Gary Walker (29/3/2022 9:50 pm)

28/3/2022 6:05 pm  #2

Re: Free Tuesday Night Youth Project Team Football

Is Stephan Cox in the starting 11?  Not too friendly😂

If you go Gary I'll pop down there.

Last edited by evthedog (28/3/2022 6:07 pm)

28/3/2022 6:08 pm  #3

Yeah OK Ev. It will be good to see you mate.

28/3/2022 6:24 pm  #4

I don't think Stephan plays for them. I think Merstham might be struggling with injuries.  They only had 3 subs on Saturday including Barry Hayles their Assistant Manager.
Serg is still playing for Frank up front. I think that's the only name people will recognise .
I like Merstham nice ground.

28/3/2022 6:48 pm  #5

Oh yes, Serg.  Martin gave the lazy sod a real bollocking once and he improved 100%!

28/3/2022 7:07 pm  #6

I really hope we get a better performance tomorrow night. I am still down and hurting from Saturday.  It wasn't losing but they way we lost.

28/3/2022 7:20 pm  #7

Always remember Gary.  If the Guv'nor wanted Tooting to succeed it would.

29/3/2022 8:49 am  #8

I was not surprised to find no mention of this match on the official Tooting page when I looked just now.  It is on the Merstham page though.

29/3/2022 9:25 am  #9

They have just put it up Ev with nice art work but no mention of it being free.

29/3/2022 10:19 pm  #10

Merstham 1 FW Consultants Youth Project FC 1
I have changed the title of this thread because after tonight the penny has dropped.  I spoke to a new player tonight who has been at the club 3 weeks.  I didn't introduce myself and just asked him what he thought about being at Tooting.  He has come into try and help. He is a seasoned Non-League player. He said this is a youth project.  Not a football club but a youth team project.  He gave Ev and I the impression he wouldn't be with us next season.  He said he wants to win games not play football with children.  Ev am I lying ?
If I was Chairman of this club I would of walked into the dressing room and sacked the management tonight. Yes sacked them over a friendly.  Let me explain.
Driving to the game I was expecting to see our strongest team . I was expecting to see Nathan Gordon taken the ball from the keeper. Jordan Clarke practice his balls forward to our attacking players and hopefully Deano and Daly back. I really don't know what is going on with Deano. He can't of been injured.  He played 90 minutes and could of played another match so he can't be injured.  Daly played 45 so not sure there. Other wise they was all kids. Oh we had that forward from Saturday who has joined us, he played for 50 minutes. . Surely with the most important game of the season Saturday they should be practicing corners, set pieces ,  build up play.  Maybe try and get a win against no offence a poor Merstham side. Their supporters I spoke to are also upset.
Two Tooting supporters really sumed our club up for me. They was cheering every poor kick evey poor move we did. Clapping encouraging the team. Honestly standing with Ev I was thinking I really can't support this anymore.  This isn't a football club. We haven't got a first team . What we have is a Youth Project. 
Honestly I am having sleepless nights thinking about how our club has fallen. My family are telling me to stop worrying over things you can't control and Ev tonight was telling me the same.  Ev is cold to it now he really has distanced himself emotionally to what is going on. I feel I might have to do the same. We can not expect boys to win us games. But honestly I don't think winning matters to most people at the club anymore.
It's over... we have been in bad situations before. Kenny Browne , Phill Simpson team. But this situation for me is worse. Its worse because this is being done on purpose. 
Tonight was a perfect opportunity to get things right for Saturday.  What a shame.... RIP Tooting.  Thanks for the memories....

Last edited by Gary Walker (29/3/2022 11:05 pm)

29/3/2022 10:46 pm  #11

2 more things. Our sub had tracksuit tops without a Tooting badge but print with FW Consultants on the back. Still no water bottles for the players.  Just a couple Evian Bottles to share. Have Tooting run out of money? We look very unprofessional on and off the pitch.
Ps . Our goal was off side. We was right in line and the linesman was 3 yards behind play. But hey at least they turned up and let us play.
Thank you to Merstham,  great club and people.
I hope Frank keeps them up. His worked so hard for them.

Last edited by Gary Walker (30/3/2022 8:46 am)

30/3/2022 1:20 am  #12

This is what the leisure company wanted all along - Imperial Fields to remain as a trendy gym and a nice kickabout for the hoorays living in the stylish flats on the land.  A yuppies paradise.  The team of 1932 existing amongst the carrot crunchers in the lower leagues with ties cut and just an ensemble of dedicated supporters to see it through.  A truly dismal setting.

This is the reality Stan warned people about many years ago and got ostracised for, the stuff he said has come true, at least he had the bottle to call people out years before everyone else realised it wasn’t all roses

The Isthmian SC division - suburban grimness and misery 

30/3/2022 5:56 am  #13

Well, what can I say?  It was like Kindergarten Cop with Deano as the only adult in the room.  This was my first match since the start of the pandemic, and I only went because it was free and to see Gary.

First, there was a time only a few years ago when 50 or 60 Tooting fans would have turned out for a local friendly against a team one division higher.  I think that there were 7 or 8 of us.  This showed me that fans do not really care anymore.

Second, the football was total crap.  Merstham were poor and we were even poorer.  No game plan; no shape; no passion and no pride.  The goalkeeper who started was the worse that I have ever seen in a Tooting side and the defender wearing No.20 had no right to be wearing a football shirt.  It was like watching group of headless chickens running around a farmyard.  Brown looked good though, and Daly looked useful when he came on and the black guy who came on in goal looked good too.

Third.  As Gary said, there was one supporter in particular who thought it was all great (perhaps Members Club? I had never seen him before nor recognised his voice) who was actually cheering mistakes and was clapping like a circus seal on amphetamines at full time,  as if he had watched a six nil Tooting win.  I don't care about the age of the players: if they are not up to it they need to be told they are not up to it, and not clapped at the end of the match.

Fourth, our goal was off side by a big margin, but I always have said take what you are given and it was well taken.

Fifth.  As Gary said, it now been admitted by someone at the club that it is a youth project with no pretence about being about quality first team football.  But we all knew that anyway.  Some just do not want to open their eyes to it.

Six.  I came away feeling fully vindicated in my decision not to waste my money watching this parody of a football team.  Yes, it was a very sad experience, especially thinking back to the team that we had just five years ago.

I sincerely hope that we avoid the drop.  Because if we go down I cannot see us coming up again.

30/3/2022 7:09 am  #14

I am exactly the same as you ev wouldant waste my time or money watching this travesty of a football team and im glad the penny has finally dropped for you Gary ive been saying all this for ages this IS all on purpose because adkins does not want a first team and it will absolutly suit him if we go down he will then have the perfect excuse to stop funding the team and ev is right if you go down to the combined counties we will never get out of it.so all i can say is to all you adkins backers (Brassneck,Poddington etc) its quite clear the penny has dropped for you and i dont think it ever will as Gary Walker said earlier thanks for the memories RIP TOOTING AND MITCHAM UTD AND WELL DONE ADKINS LOOKS LIKE YOUVE GOT WHAT YOU WANTED

30/3/2022 9:52 am  #15

I agree with everyone's comments.  Stan did say this was coming and was shouting down as I was when we first moved to the stadium when I said the "Not for Profit " slogan was nonsense.  I see it appeared again in the latest planning permission and was disputed as the club is run by a private limited company.  One of the objections to the new build was there was no commitment to improve the football team.  I guess we can see this happening now.
I think I want to say this and maybe leave it alone. It's clear that there is no interest in the first team and I need to wake up myself and smell the coffee.
The Forum users on here are not the enemy of the football club. We are a group of people who have invested our spare money  , many years of time and love and emotion. Between us there is hundreds of years supporting this club. I have 47 years. All we want is a successful team with a squad of senior players with the opportunity for a youngsters who is exceptional to blood in the first team. A normal non league club.
As a manager of a lower league football club you only have a couple of hours on a Thursday to get things right for a Saturday game. Successful teams like Chertsey , K's etc are still playing cup games so their first team is playing on a Tuesday.  We have the most important game of our history on Saturday as we did last and for the other 4 games. If you believe practice makes perfect.  Why wouldn't you play your best team that are struggling last night in a friendly? The only conclusion must be that Ashley and his coaching stuff do not care what league we play in. What other explanation can there be? So if they don't care then really why should we ? We might win on Saturday,  we probably well because Chalfont are a poor side. If we do it will be through luck rather than preparation.

Last edited by Gary Walker (30/3/2022 10:06 am)

30/3/2022 10:28 am  #16

One other thing that I forgot to mention in my post.

Frank Wilson, despite the plight of his team and the match being only a friendly against a side noticeably poorer than his, looked like he really cared.  He was passionate about his team.  This was something that our coaching staff showed very little of.

30/3/2022 11:52 am  #17

Good but sad posts. All I'm afraid is true. I guess stained will be my last games. I can't watch park football. At least I only have to pay £5. Nice ground but no team. I've been going since early 70s. I can remember waiting to go in and having to knock on a house door to use toilet. Lady let me,but I can't imagine that happening now. Good and bad memories,as we all have. Who knows the league might promote us 😁
Clive

30/3/2022 12:02 pm  #18

I remember queuing out side Sandy Lane when the line went all down the road. The smell of cooking oinions and burgers. Sandy Lane revisit me sometimes in my dreams. As a kid I would help Frank Junnaway with the pitch. My payment was a sweet cup of tea a Rich Tea biscuit and stories of Tooting in the 50' and 60's. I would pay a lot of money to have a storey from Frank again. A true Tooting man. RIP Frank 🙏  .

Board footera