“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20/2/2016 8:53 am  #1

Hastings

My birthday tomorrow, so come on lads, give me a nice early present and bring home the three points. Won't be there to lend my support though as some of us have to work!!!!

20/2/2016 9:12 pm  #2

Re: Hastings

Unfortunately Fretters no present for you!
This was certainly a game of two halves, first half was quite even with Tooting carving out three very good chances early on, but unable to convert any of them, the second half was a shadow of the first we just did not get going at all, their keeper only having, if you could call it one, save to make, and two defensive errors cost us dearly. it looked as if every time they got into our half they would score.
Certainly not a game to remember and is best forgotten.
On to Molesey Tuesday night where hopefully the team can put things right.

21/2/2016 11:12 am  #3

Not surprisingly, both teams struggled in the wet & windy conditions at the start with Hastings having the advantage of the gale in their favour.
But we then settled well and certainly had the best of the last 25 mins of the first half and created the good chances Alan mentions above.

Would I be alone in remembering numerous past matches where switching to a breeze that us in our favour proves to be nothing of the sort?
Sadly, we were very, very ordinary in the 2nd half.   ok, poor.

We never once made their large and statuesque centre half look remotely  uncomfortable.
Meanwhile we were all at sea at the back and trying to run too far with the ball instead of making their back line turn.
Ugly goals and even more concerning one or two players not looking interested.
Not worth the 6 hour train journey.

21/2/2016 12:51 pm  #4

Plus Chace limped off near the end after failing to run off the effects of a hefty challenge. Looked like an ankle injury to me.

Their goalie couldn't reach the centre circle with his kicks in the 2nd half and I lost count of how many long aerial diagonals we played that got caught on the gale and sailed into the bottom right hand corner of the ground.

Cold, wet, windy, miserable afternoon, piss poor turnout, piss poor 2nd half, froze my tits off, crappy cheeseburger, did like the new chant though........" Frankie Wilson's inelligible Army" courtesy of Endo I think.

All in all, an experience to forget.

21/2/2016 1:28 pm  #5

I thought we played pretty well for a 30-40 minute period either side of half time.  But their goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of us. Then they were able to defend deeper and launch long ball attacks into the wide open spaces.  And not for the first time this season we struggled to have any impact against a team sitting back and getting bodies in the central midfield areas. And they defended tenaciously as well. Players like Wilson and O'Neill normally get some joy with their dribbling skills - but not yesterday.

Having said that we had a few chances to take the lead and then we would have seen a different game.

22/2/2016 8:36 am  #6

Hastings game.
The first 15 mins saw Hastings dominate,throwing everything forward.However,for the next 30 mins Tooting dominated,playing slick passing football and our midfield ground them down.Nevertheless,all about taking chances and once again we did not do so-should have been ahead.We played into the face of a very strong wind and I was impressed by our style.
Then we go into the 2nd half with the wind in our favour and things change,surprisingly,while we were not outplayed,we did not continue with the same drive as in the 1st half.Hastings improved considerably and 2 mistakes gave 2 goals away-the 1st trying to catch quick forwards in the offside trap & the 2nd a lazy crosscield pass,under no pressure and we were caught in possession.When you have quality finishers like Zac Attwood against you,there is no room for casual play.
I do feel that although the team has very good spirit and the standard of entertaining football has improved greatly,I still maintain that Frank's judgement of players is the most worrying concern.Serge did very litle during the game and how he & Matt Price can keep Leon on the bench I fail to understand-in the 9 mins Leon was allowed,his first 3 touches set up a scoring chance,won a free kick & then a corner.
I was in favour of Frank's appointment,but this is either him being obstinate or favouritism.He needs to wake up.

Last edited by MIKE HARTSHORN (22/2/2016 8:48 am)

23/2/2016 5:07 pm  #7

Like you Fretters it was also my birthday on the 21st. No early birthday pressie though. I expect full recognition from DeePee in this Saturday's programme, that I have been a loyal, faithful, long suffering idiot of this football team for well over 40 years. Where did I go wrong!

23/2/2016 5:19 pm  #8

Greg - what drew you to your first game?

Incidentally, the Hastings keeper who kept Baxter at bay in the first half was only a loan player and has now left the club.

24/2/2016 6:55 pm  #9

Endo
Then it was a team that you could support. They played attractive football and there was atmosphere in the ground. Now if we continue with this manager we will be struggling to get to double figure attendance. I hear we have got to put up with him for next season. Heaven help us. But with Mr Adkins pulling all the strings we have regrettably to plod along hoping we don't plunge into the Combined Counties. This is not to say I haven't seem many an awful match over the years but even Richard Cadett's reign was better than what we are having to put up with now, and that's saying something.
Most that come onto this site won't agree with my views but what of the other 200 that we have lost over the last few years, what would they say.
To go back to your original question, 'why did I support T&M' well I lived close to the ground, 20 minutes walk, read about them playing Notts Forest in the cup and then got hooked. This is the first year that I haven't wanted to see the next game and that is sad after so many years of support.

25/2/2016 10:56 am  #10

How does that Monty Python song go again ? 

25/2/2016 11:13 am  #11

"I Like Chinese"?

25/2/2016 11:20 am  #12

"Always look forward to 90 minutes of misery and strife" or something like that anyway.

25/2/2016 3:01 pm  #13

GregB
I absolutely agree with every  word on your posting and you have my support  for your brave effort. There are still a lot of fans who still read this forum, but do not attend games anymore for the reasons you have explained.  If you look closely there are about 6 regulars who  post on here, who dominate  the forum, and seem to  react if does not suite their views. Just take a look at your responses!. 
Even Gary Walker the most passionate Terror fan has been gradually hounded off the forum.  My message to  you is,  don't stop posting and ignore the remarks, and don't get dragged into  senseless discussions.

25/2/2016 6:44 pm  #14

Thank you Mikem, I appreciate your comments.
As you say this forum is NOW dominated by a handful of regulars and these few enjoy their banter with each other. I suppose with the football we have to put up with it does help to keep them sane, bless them!

25/2/2016 6:46 pm  #15

Gary Walker "hounded" off the forum !  Ha Ha.!  If we win our next two games, Gary will be back on here singing Franks praises and wanting to give him the manager of the month award.

26/2/2016 7:54 am  #16

Why have I never got a tomohawk handy when I want one ? 

26/2/2016 8:15 am  #17

GregB wrote:

Like you Fretters it was also my birthday on the 21st.

A belated 'Many Happy Returns' to the pair of you. Two more of our fellow Terrors will be sharing a birthday on Monday 7th March, Gypsy Joe and 'The Thin Hairy One' Mr Sisley himself.  As a mark of respect I think we should  make March 7th 'National Trifle Day'. We really ought to have some sort of trifle eating event at the KNK to mark the occasion, I'd be more than happy to sponsor it. 

26/2/2016 1:25 pm  #18

Who would you suggest clears up afterwards? 

Board footera