“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26/11/2013 11:21 am  #1

Time to pull out????

Is it time to pull out of the London Senior Cup. This once famous competition only now serves as a junior competition for clubs who only want to field depleted teams of reserves and youth players!

The competition as now been totally downgraded, and really serves little purpose other than giving some players a run out, or filling a fixture void for teams who are having a struggling season. This cup is now treated with total contempt, you only have to look at the actions of Thamesmead for tonight’s fixture. They are a tiny struggling club, their approach to the competition is for all to see. Although you cannot blame Thamesmead for their actions, as many other clubs now have this attitude to the competition.

Last edited by Mikem (26/11/2013 11:23 am)

26/11/2013 12:07 pm  #2

Re: Time to pull out????

I don't know what can be done.  Its not just these county cups that suffer either.  It started a few years ago, probably whn Arsenal started to blatantly put a 2nd string team into the League Cup.  Now, a lot of teams are starting to treat the FA Cup in the same way.  I think its a shame that it seems that so much emphasis is placed on league games to the detriment of cup games.

My view is that I want to win cups!  And the league!  Surely the whole raison' d'etre of a football club is to win silverware, and not just maintain league status.  Again, I'll pick on Arsenal, who seem to have accepted 4th place in the league as a greater success than winning the FA Cup.  And that attitude has filtered down.

One suggestion might be to reward cup winners (or finalists) with a bye or two in the FA Cup and FA Trophy.  See if that perks a few people up!

Board footera