“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15/7/2014 11:06 am  #1

JOHN HEAD - A TRUE TOOTING BOY

For those who knew John, I have to report his sad passing  last Saturday. A staunch supporter of the Terrors, and starting his lifelong love of the club in the mid-fifties just as the club were reaching the pinnacle of its sporting prowess. Although appalled at the failure of the club over the last few years he never gave up on the support of the team.  John lived in Cheam, and on more than one occasion over the last few years was tempted to go and support his local team Sutton, but he never did! He could not make this drastic step due to his lifelong commitment to the Terrors and friends.
John had a preference to sit in the stand with friends, but during the match would often trundle down to the burger bar. Armed with his favourite American snack and a cigarette in hand, he would prop himself somewhere on the pitch perimeter fence, between the halfway line and the snack bar end. Munching away and through clouds of smoke he would happily chat away to the fans that frequented this area.
There was an infamous match held at Sandy lane during the early 60’s, between Scotland and Greece, who were competing in a European youth tournament. The large crown mainly Greek restaurant staff were making a lot of noise, and together with some very robust football (to say the least) by the Greek team, the match became very volatile. Midway through the second half there was incident involving a player from each team, with the Greek player requiring some physio attention. By now a few Greek fan had run onto the pitch, and John who was standing next to me on the terracing, leapt over the fence and sprinted across the pitch to join in the fun. The only equipment physios used  (probably none of them qualified)  was the standard issue of a bucket of water and a sponge, this would be the answer to any injury. On arriving at the incident John picked up the bucket of water and started pouring and hitting the Greek Physio with the bucket, before sprinting back to join us on the terracing. The next morning the incident received a lot of coverage in the National Press. What made John take this action I don’t know, spur of the moment of an impetuous youth, but this was completely out of character for John, but over the years this incident as made us smile on many occasions!
John, was a very intelligent, articulate person with a unique sense of humour, with his original roots close to Amen Corner. He will be greatly missed by his wife Sandra and his 3 son, and also those Tooting fans who knew him over the years.

15/7/2014 12:46 pm  #2

Re: JOHN HEAD - A TRUE TOOTING BOY

Very sad news indeed Mike. Being a relatively "new boy" at the Club I didn't know John as well as many however from what I did know of him he was a lovely guy and a true gent. And as you say he was extremely intelligent, very articulate and had a great sense of humour; a combination that always made me smile whenever I read his postings on the old forum. Whatever pseudonym he chose to use you always knew if you were reading something that had been composed by John. No one could rival his combined wit and knowledge

I was fortunate enough to bump into him at our away fixture at Chipstead last season (I think 2 of his sons had brought him to the game) and we chatted for 10 minutes or so outside the bar after the match was over just mulling over the current state of affairs at the club. Sadly he was a shadow of his former self (literally) however there was no doubting it was the same John as he sat there with his trade mark cigarette and accompanying glass of red wine in hand, still able to crack a joke and still able to convey a positive outlook on life despite his own personal circumstances.

His presence at Imperial Fields had already been missed over the past year or so by those that had been acquainted with him however now we have learned of his sad pasing I'm sure it will be felt even more so.

15/7/2014 3:37 pm  #3

As someone who has supported T&M as long as John, I wish I had known him. I am sure I have seen him on numerous occasions and probably said hello at times. Also in the sixties I lived close to Amen Corner and later moved like him further out. 

A true supporter just like me. He will be sadly missed.

16/7/2014 4:13 pm  #4

Very sad to see the passing of John Head.
Mike's comments about the youth tournament brought back memories.
I know that George Graham played for Scotland Youth and got sent off in one of the games.
Probably the game with Greece. 

16/7/2014 8:57 pm  #5

I had known John for a number of years & I endorse what other people are saying he was a true gent & a true Tooting & Mitcham supporters. R.I.P. old friend.

18/7/2014 12:54 pm  #6

For anybody that would like to attend John's funeral (his wife Sandra would be delighted to see any of his fellow T&M Supporters there) or simply send some flowers, I have been provided with the following details;

Cremation will take place at 11.45am on Friday 1st August at;
Randalls Park Crematorium
Leatherhead
Surrey
KT22 0AG

Phone 01372 363181(Travel directions on their website)

All flowers should be received by 9.15am on the day of the funeral at;
Co-Op Funeral Directors
10 Mulgrave Road
Sutton
Surrey
SM2 6LE

If anybody thinks that they might be attending please could they let me know either via the forum or by contacting me/leaving a message on my mobile (07931 490471) so that John's wife Sandra can be given an approx idea of how many people to expect.

Thank you

19/7/2014 7:39 pm  #7

Dear all,
If anybody can help with the provision of a photo of John I'll publish it along with an obit in the programme.
Many thanks
tmufcprogramme@gmail.com

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

19/7/2014 10:15 pm  #8

DeePee, have sent you a PM

Last edited by Tim Marcus (20/7/2014 9:46 am)

25/7/2014 11:34 am  #9

There are many long standing supporters of this club, myself included, that at the very least an obituary and a photo should be printed in the programme.
I know Tim but rarely speak to him, he has no clue who I am. That is the case, you know faces but not always able to put a name to them. You talk to some supporters but of course not all, that would be impossible.
Maybe a list or something similar could be compiled with all supporters that are as mad/crazy, as I have been, to have supported this club over very many years.

25/7/2014 12:43 pm  #10

How about mug shots in the bar with our membership number below

25/7/2014 12:46 pm  #11

abovethebench, maybe if people used their real names rather than nicknames on this forum we would know each other better. (And just to "keep you on your toes" so to speak, to suggest that I have no clue who you are, is not strictly true!)

Anyway, on to far more important matters, I can confirm that DeePee is planning to put a small piece in the prog for the opening game on John's sad passing along with a photograph which he has now been provided with. Likewise I believe that he is looking to do the same for Chezzer's Grandad, Jock (or Alan as he was known by some) who also sadly passed away back in May

Last edited by Tim Marcus (25/7/2014 12:47 pm)

27/7/2014 7:44 am  #12

I am always viewing this site and this thread has prompted me to register. I do not want to detract from the sad passing of John, however something that Tim said in reply to abovethebench has prompted this.
I agree with you Tim about nicknames on this site, maybe they have there own reasons. I have supported this team for more years than you have lived, I have worked a lot at Sandy Lane helping out in the bar. You may recognise me but wouldn't know my name and just how long I have supported this team. It would be impossible for you to know everyone by there first name and wouldn't expect you to.
I do think it a good idea if a list could be made, and maybe started on this forum, as to long standing supporters. It is my wish that when that awful day does arrive, that I to would like to be mentioned in one of your programmes. 
I hope you don't mind my comment and suggestion.

Board footera