“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28/7/2014 5:08 pm  #1

Message for Tim Marcus

I am always viewing this site and this thread has prompted me to register. Something you said in reply to abovethebench has prompted this.
I agree with you Tim about nicknames on this site, maybe they have there own reasons. I have supported this team for more years than you have lived, I have worked a lot at Sandy Lane helping out in the bar. You may recognise me but wouldn't know my name and just how long I have supported this team. It would be impossible for you to know everyone by there first name and wouldn't expect you to.
I do think it a good idea if a list could be made, and maybe started on this forum, as to long standing supporters. It is my wish that when that awful day does arrive, that I to would like to be mentioned in one of your programmes. This is an important matter to me as it is for the family of John Head.
I hope you don't mind my comment and suggestion.   

28/7/2014 9:04 pm  #2

Re: Message for Tim Marcus

I Don't mind you making the suggestion at all Greg. I think it's a good idea. I think you would need to put some sort of time qualification on it though (eg have supported the club 40 years+) otherwise you will end up with a very long list! Might also be interesting to know what area those supporters now live in too as I know that many of our long standing supporters who still come to games moved away from the area some time ago (local residents who support the club appear to be in the minority)

Any volunteers for taking it on the task of getting it started?

29/7/2014 11:38 am  #3

Assuming they come to the game with an adult, I think kids get in for free now Gary - you may have to check Mr Harrup's posting on season tickets and admission prices however I believe that's the case

29/7/2014 12:39 pm  #4

I was talking with Steve Adkins at the last  friendly match and this is certainly something he is taking on board, he appreciates the need for a younger supporter and is keen to try any options to this end. So if anyone has any ideas, mention them to him, as he will certainly listen.

29/7/2014 2:14 pm  #5

Last season a number of match day tickets were passed on to Anthony's school. A handfull of Kids taking the offer up. Also tickets were handed out to many of the kids using the training pitches after school during the season. A number of clubs and groups use the front pitches during the week.
If the same can be done this season it must be a good way of getting younger supporters in.

Carshalton for all of their problems have a very good youth set up and quiet a large number of young fans at each game.
Dulwich as well seem to have made good links with the local children as well...

Free admisson Cup Games for all ages would be a good idea. I believe Carshalton do this for some of their games.

These days with Twitter and Facebook getting information out to the public should be pretty easy and apart from time writing the posts free to do.

29/7/2014 3:59 pm  #6

Not sure that free admission cup games would work. I assume you are referring to the County Cups and league Cup - all of which are played midweek so probably not ideal for aiming at school kids. The other thing with these cup games is that expenses (including the oppositions travel expenses) have to be paid from the gate money and any gate money left over has to be shared with our opponents 50/50 so would require their agreement to charge anything other than our standard admission price which I would suggest might be unlikely

We have tried a couple of times in the past (with the agreement of the opposition), reducing the cost of admission for County Cup games however in all honesty I don't think it generated any additional spectators into the ground.

29/7/2014 4:12 pm  #7

Unfortunately we seem to have gone from one topic to another. Having said that I am in full support in trying to attract younger supporters as long as they are interested and don't fool around, as was the case on one very bad afternoon last season. I know they can and will be restless but when they start to climb on the seats and run around that it spoils it for others.

Going back to the original topic, why cannot a list be made on this forum and from that we can decide the way forward. Unfortunately I do qualify for your suggested 40 year rule. Oh dear!

29/7/2014 6:18 pm  #8

Was only a suggestion  Greg. Your idea, you make the rules

Board footera