“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30/9/2014 9:08 pm  #1

I can't believe what I saw tonight

Tonight I witness a tooting side that did something I,ve not seen for a while. Not just winning, but playing well, scoring great goals(and there could have been more) and defend well YES REALLY WELL.
Why can't they do this every week.
This has to go down as the best game since the Billy Smith era, and with a 2nd choice goalie who are a dodgy five minutes was brilliant.

Last edited by Routemaster (02/10/2014 2:34 pm)

30/9/2014 9:37 pm  #2

Re: I can't believe what I saw tonight

I can not believe you mean what you have said "Routemaster" tonights performance has been witnessed at most games, with the exception that we at last put some of the chances away that we were creating.
Every member of the team can be proud of themselves, tonight all the hard work that has been put in from day one was rewarded, and justly deserved.
Now Saturday sees us return to the league, and three points are expected, you have raised the bar, now keep it there.
Well done to all the management and the players you deserve your day in the sunshine!
PS Thank`s for the display tonight and ensuring that I will not sleep, as I am so elated.
Isn`t this a wonderful game when it goes the way it did tonight.

01/10/2014 7:49 am  #3

A fantastic night.... The defence were brilliant. Dead ball situations have been our downfall in so many games yet last night they cleared everything...

The Little Man was buzzing and couldn't stop talking about the game to his Mum when we got home...

Come on you Terrors !!!!!!

01/10/2014 8:21 am  #4

That was magic.

One step at a time though. It's too easy to think that we can easily beat East Thurrock, as they are 'only' one league above us, whereas Stortford are two.

No assumptions, no arrogance. They will have to be beaten, and we *will* start as outsiders.

Of course we can beat them. Hell, if we play like we did last night, we can beat anyone. Just have to concentrate, believe and do the job on the field over the 90 mins.

Essex here we come. Not sure I've ever looked forward to a trip to that part of the world so much.

01/10/2014 9:32 am  #5

My first comments wasn't suppose to sound like we haven't played well this season. The season so far has seen the best for quality football and very good on the eye.
What I was trying to say is that last night the team played as a team, the fight, determination and desire was superb. Those last ditch tackles where players were throwing themselves at the ball was a grand showing of there will and desire for success and wanting to do it for Tooting and Mitcham.
I was also trying (but maybe not very successfully) to highlight the defence. In many games including this season, the defence has not always given me confidence and there is always a thought of us going to consede, or if we were playing against better opposition, they would have punished us.
Last night we played against better opposition, or though at time it didn't look like that and we did everything right.
My reference to this being the best game since the Billy Smith era solely relates to the importance of the game finacially and that it wasn't just a league game, it was an FA Cup that is a step closer to the big time and the chance for the club to gain valuable positive press courage, something that has been lacking in recent seasons.

01/10/2014 10:25 am  #6

Routemaster, nothing wrong with your statement, brilliantly summed up in three lines, you don’t have to justify yourself. 

01/10/2014 10:31 am  #7

The team hardly put a foot wrong in these 2 games.  That goes for the management as well, who got tactics, team selection and substitutions spot on.  I think the key was that we didn't just fall into defensive mode, even though we were up against Conference South opposition.  We were al;ways looking for ways to get at their back 4.  And we just didn't let them settle in any area of the park.  I could go on and on about the individual displays but it was a proper team effort.

Now its up to the gaffer to put that game to one side and get the team revved up for Saturday and the bread and butter of the league.  If we can get the same tempo and intensity going we should be able to cause Herne Bay plenty of problems.

01/10/2014 6:20 pm  #8

It was certainly a good game but only 253 watched it
I was sitting next to 2 Sutton supporters and they couldn't believe how well we were playing. They were getting a bit concerned that in the next round they have been drawn against Burgess Hill and of couse they beat us.
It deserved a bigger support , win or lose, but the atmosphere was great anyway. It's their loss!!

01/10/2014 8:37 pm  #9

Don`t forget we did have the Champions League to contend with, I thought under the circumstances we done alright, especially compared with some of the other games.

Board footera