“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06/1/2019 12:39 pm  #1

Chalfont St Peter 0 Tooting 2

A pretty tight and competitive game. The first 45 minutes was pretty even despite us going in 2 nil up at half time, the only difference was our finishing was a bit better than theirs and a couple of smart saves from our keeper maintained our advantage up to the break.
The second half saw Chalfont with more possession but they never really looked like scoring and we were quite happy to defend our lead.
A deserved win for us and we're looking good for a playoff place. Next Saturdays game against Hayes may give some clues to how much we have improved in the last few months.
Marks out of ten for the food. 7/10
Marks out of ten for the bar.  1/10, dreadful

06/1/2019 2:29 pm  #2

Re: Chalfont St Peter 0 Tooting 2

Speaking to the chairman/bar manager before the game he was saying how finances are tight, more so than a lot of clubs, that might explain the poor variety of beer`s Andy.
I must say though they were a very friendly bunch.

06/1/2019 2:54 pm  #3

Tight finances are not an excuse for selling gone off beer, or not having a few bottles in the fridge, poor management i my opinion. Theres no risk in spending 20 or 30 quid in Lidls on a few bottles of beer. They'll sell the lot, make a profit, and have no complaints.

06/1/2019 7:44 pm  #4

i saw the game yesterday differently to Andy Mc.- in the first half we played excellent football showing first class control & quick close passing.We dominated the play & looked a class above Chalfont-we had them on the back foot with Dominic really up for the task & Khan alongside really running the game through our midfield.Up front Stefan Ilic demonstrated what a prospect he is and Hady Ghandour showed great skill & movement.Aspecial mention must be made of Daryl Coleman who was superb throughout in a defensive midfield role.I fail to understand the management decision to start with Jordan Wilson playing wide on the right & being kept on for the whole game.
So now the second half where our naive tactics & poor use of substitutes now changed the game & put us on the back foot-we sat back to defend & conceded control of the game instead of introducing pace on the wings-if we had done this I feel sure we would have had no problem in finishing off any challenge with ease.Instead of adjusting our tactics as Chalfont did we had to defend the whole of the second half and although we did this well thanks to the aerial ability of Simeone & Coleman we allowed the opposition to get strongly into the game.The introduction of Sol P.B. was baffling & removal of players like Khan plainly poor thinking.It was also apparent that nearly all attacking threats int his half came from their left wing side.
Anyway congratulations to the team for what was a very good performance but as I said earlier this season I like the style of play that Ashley & Cornelius aim for and we all have different ideas on starting line ups but in my opinion b out your use of substitutes is very poor.Any way onwards & upwards.

06/1/2019 9:00 pm  #5

I agree mike on a numerous of times this season management has got the subbing of players wrong when you are in control why change if they’re is no injury problems

06/1/2019 9:53 pm  #6

I was not aware the beer was off Andy and as you rightly say a few bottles from a supermarket would not have been wasted if not drunk.
Personally I stuck to water and coffee, not a lot you can do wrong their, except it was instant.

07/1/2019 10:16 am  #7

In terms of how the game ebbed and flowed I'd tend to agree with your recollection Mike. There will always be differences of opinion on team selection though, even between supporters let alone between supporters and management. The way I saw it though, the introduction of SPB for the final 15/20 minutes was to free up Daryl Coleman (who had been playing at centre back) to bolster the centre of midfield. As good as Saidou was in the first half I thought he struggled a bit in the second and towards the end, was consistently giving the ball away.

Match report (and link to match photos) from the official website for those without access to Facebook https://tmunited.org/Pages/Article/279

07/1/2019 1:25 pm  #8

We were the better team, no doubt, but slick passing and lots of possession doesn,t always win you the game, chances created gives a better indication of how a game is going and in that first half Chalfont had just as many as us.
As for the substitutions, it seems standard practise these days, to strengthen defensively when in the lead, late in the game. It does make for some nervous moments when it doesn,t seem to be working though.

07/1/2019 2:43 pm  #9

Replying to a few points raised re. Saturday's game - I do agree Tim,as I said in my post,everybody will have their own views on team selection and that will always be the case.You are also right that Saidou gave the ball away in the second half (I counted twice) but honestly I have failed to understand the continued use of Sol within the squad and as a captain-the quality is not there.I would also say in response to another point raised elsewhere regarding possession not always winning games-of course not in our case because we do not convert a sufficient number of the chances we create but what it does do is ensure we do not undergo almost 45 minutes of unrelenting pressure and not just what was described as some nervous moments.
Just on another matter,is there any news on the return of Lexus Beadon-we keep reading another week etc.I look forward to his return as I believe it will improve our defence immensely.

07/1/2019 11:02 pm  #10

It looks like Beeden had 90 mins tonight for the U23s. As did Lalor-Dell

08/1/2019 12:17 pm  #11

Lexus appeared to come through the 90 minutes unscathed last night and played well - as did our young Kosovan lad, Shkelqim “Sketch” Sadiku, playing alongside him. I guess it’s down to the physio to assess him now and let the managers know whether or not he’s rehabilitated sufficiently to be back in contention for a first team spot

Board footera