“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14/4/2019 5:59 pm  #1

Looking for old result

Hi This is a hopeful question,  but I don't suppose anyone knows the result of the home game v Crawley in 67/68?  I think it was played on 24/4/68,    Thanks!

15/4/2019 9:43 am  #2

Re: Looking for old result

The short answer is Tooting and Mitcham 3 v Crawley 1. I was at the game and as was my custom in the 1960s I wrote up a brief  account of the match. Tooting took the lead after 15 minutes with "a beautifully taken goal by Ray Scott" but Crawley quickly equalised. Tooting regained the lead with a Kenny Holder penalty. "After this Tooting turned on a great display of power football  which had the Crawley side  defending desperately for most of the game though they did gain and miss a penalty". .Scott clinched the match for Tooting with "a majestic header". He seems to have been one of numerous Tooting players over the years who flattered briefly only to disappoint!                                          For those of you not familiar with the PMFL it was the brainchild of Guildford City with one of the objects being to enable semi-professional Southern League clubs to meet amateur clubs in a league format.  One innovation  for the 1967-68 season was that 3 points were awarded for an away win instead of the normal 2. The league was divided into 2 sections with Tooting and Crawley in the 8 team Section A. Tooting finished third behind Walton and Hersham who went on to beat Section B winners Wimbledon 3-2 on aggregate in a 2 legged final ..        I have some details of PMFL results up to 1969-70, including all the scores in Tooting's mini leagues  which may not be readily available elsewhere.                     

16/4/2019 6:13 am  #3

Re: Looking for old result

Many thanks for this Mike.   I only thought there was a slim chance of finding the result, but to get an eye witness account too is a real bonus!

Board footera