“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09/6/2019 8:11 pm  #1

WEDGIE

So sorry to read he is leaving the club. Always one of the most consistent players and will be a hard act to follow.
All the best for the future and if it is due to retirement, why?

10/6/2019 9:43 am  #2

Re: WEDGIE

It leaves the manager with a bit of a re-build job.  I would say we have lost 3 of our best players in Jones, Bassett and Wedgeworth.  I presume that Morgan-Griffiths will move on as well.  And I don't think we have a proper 1st team goalie.

So Ashley will have to earn his corn over the summer!

10/6/2019 9:49 am  #3

Any news "Endo" as to why he is leaving, was it voluntary or forced?  It makes pre-season all the more interesting!

10/6/2019 10:05 am  #4

I don't know anything - but with Frank Wilson moving to Merstham, does 2 + 2 = 4?

10/6/2019 1:59 pm  #5

Not a bad shout!
One positive from all of this is their was a young player from our under 23`s who stood in for "Wedgie" a couple of times towards the end of the season and assuming he will still be with us at the start of this, he did not look too shabby, so it may not be all doom and gloom.

10/6/2019 4:15 pm  #6

Not at all happy with experienced players leaving but there is nothing we can do. I notice other clubs in our division signing players & later they sign the Isthmian league registration forms..Barking in particular have signed some quality players as have Bracknell. Staines Town have appointed Anthony Gale as their new manager & know doubt he will be getting better players for that club. Us, we stand still. Ashley does not know any players & i would imagine he would leave that to the players that are remaining with to see if they know of anybody. I am not too happy with trials. I know that we have not even started, but was hoping for better things this season. I hope i am wrong & that we dont struggle

10/6/2019 4:23 pm  #7

Also Geoff; in one of last season's programmes the Vice Chairman stated that spending money (read recruiting experienced players) is not the strategy of the club and that the Under 23s is the way forward.

Like you Geoff, I hope my pessimism is misplaced and we get 2 or three players in with experience.

10/6/2019 7:17 pm  #8

Looks like we are going for the cheap option AGAIN!  Perhaps they hope to pinch some of the Tooting Bec players

10/6/2019 8:01 pm  #9

I think it was made quite clear last season the path we were going to follow regarding recruitment, and let`s face it I think it safe to say that we were not disappointed.
I am prepared to see what the season start brings, it might surprise us again.

12/6/2019 2:29 pm  #10

EV, THAT WAS A LITTLE WHILE AGO. SINCE THEN I HAVE SPOKEN WITH HIM ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE SAYING . I TOLD HIM HIS WAY DOES NOT WORK. HE AGREED WITH ME THAT YOU ONLY NEED THE ONES THAT ARE GOOD ENOUGH IE JONES. IF YOU REMEMBER, WE STARTED LAST SEASON WITH A FEW KIDS IN AND THAT DID NOT WORK AND ASHLEY SOON REALISED THAT AND THEN HE CHANGED IT. HOPEFULLY HE CAN GO OUT AND GET WHAT WE NEED. IF ONLY I WAS 50 YEARS YOUNGER.

14/6/2019 9:00 am  #11

Well it has been confirmed that Wedgeworth and Simeone will be joining Frank Wilson at Merstham,  And I think at our level, you have to accept that most players will take the opportunity to play at the highest level possible -so good luck to them.

Part of me is happy that those 2 and Bassett have moved up the pyramid because at least it shows that we weren't just releasing experienced players simply to follow our policy of giving more youth a chance.

But it still leaves a massive hole for the manager to fill.  Hopefully one lesson learned last season is that it doesn't matter how many good youth players you have, you do need a few experienced heads to balance up the 1st XI

14/6/2019 9:23 am  #12

Not wholly unexpected, but still fairly worrying. A) because it's still so early in the off-season, more departures will surely happen. 2) it means rebuilding

I would be surprised if higher up clubs were looking not looking closely at Saidou Khan. He was outstanding for the second half of last season. 

With Jones, Bassett, Wedgie, Simeone gone - all experienced
With Ilic, Odoh, Folarin all gone - a lot of our future talent

Whatever way you look at it, we will have another rebuilding start to the season, which immediately puts us at risk for the top few spots whilst players gel in. 

A shame, but i'll end as I started; not totally unexpected. 

Last edited by dac123 (14/6/2019 9:24 am)

14/6/2019 11:11 am  #13

Does anyone know the details of the deals that have taken Jones and Folarin to Middlesborough and Odoh to Charlton Athletic ? I believe that Jones was on a contract but not sure about the other two, Are there transfer fees, sell-on clauses etc. ? It looks like friendly matches were included in the deals but these now seem to have been cancelled.

14/6/2019 11:19 am  #14

I did ask Steve that at the last meeting but never got a direct answer.

14/6/2019 4:58 pm  #15

alanj wrote:

I did ask Steve that at the last meeting but never got a direct answer.

You'll never find out. Like we didn't find out where the Antonio money went 👀

14/6/2019 9:04 pm  #16

The question I asked "Wolfie" was, "will any of the money be used for the first team" and the answer was ambiguous to say the least.

15/6/2019 12:27 pm  #17

After two seasons without one, we really need to get a proven experienced goal scorer.

15/6/2019 1:35 pm  #18

Ev, I have been on about that for a couple of years now. I said it to Ashley & he agreed, in fact I mentioned Paul Vines & he also agreed on that. Alan, with regards to any fees we get from players moving to a pro club, Mr. Adkins gets to keep the cash after all he spends it so any rewards are kept by him. I would imagine the likes of the player that went to Middlesbrough with Isiah &  Odoh were on a small wage (contract) of about £25 a week

15/6/2019 9:33 pm  #19

Agree entirely with what you say Geoff, at the end of the day he "bankrolls" the club so if he can recoup some of his financial commitment I fully understand.
My reason for asking the question is because some supporters feel the answer is relevant, so I was asking for their benefit.

Last edited by alanj (15/6/2019 9:34 pm)

17/6/2019 11:38 am  #20

geoff g wrote:

Ev, I have been on about that for a couple of years now. I said it to Ashley & he agreed, in fact I mentioned Paul Vines & he also agreed on that. Alan, with regards to any fees we get from players moving to a pro club, Mr. Adkins gets to keep the cash after all he spends it so any rewards are kept by him. I would imagine the likes of the player that went to Middlesbrough with Isiah &  Odoh were on a small wage (contract) of about £25 a week

Or Frankie Sawyer Geoff.  I noticed that he was scoring for Sevenoaks last season, though I am not sure about his susceptibility to injuries.  I think that it would be worthwhile bringing in an experienced goal scorer, even if it costs the club a bit, to bring on the youngsters.

17/6/2019 12:33 pm  #21

You consigned that option to the dustbin "Ev" the moment you stated "even if it costs the club a bit"

17/6/2019 2:57 pm  #22

Yeah, I know Alan.  The trouble is I learnt most things in my life from people knew more than me and had more experience from me. 

17/6/2019 9:05 pm  #23

I know where you are coming from "Ev" 

17/6/2019 9:15 pm  #24

As a Tooting/Harrogate supporter I was amused that the article in this week's NLP about "top Tooting teens" is next to one about 36 year old Football League striker Jon Stead moving to Harrogate for his first experience of non league football.   

Board footera