“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09/8/2019 3:13 pm  #1

Dave McCann & Martin Harvey

Everyone at Official T&MUFC was deeply saddened to learn of the passing early yesterday evening (Thursday 8th) of club stalwart, Dave McCann. Dave (pictured here) had been involved with the club, fulfilling a number of different roles on the committee, over a period of 50 years +. He was still a regular follower of the team both home and away right up until the middle of last season when two periods of hospitalisation prevented him from getting out and about. His presence at the club will be sadly missed.We were also sorry to learn this week of the passing earlier in the year of another long time supporter of the club, Martin Harvey, following a long illness. Martin had been a follower of TMUFC for over forty years and up until last season when ill health prevented him from attending, he was one of the “regulars” who could be found watching the game from the far side of the ground.Our thoughts and sympathies go out to the family and friends of both Dave and Martin.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

09/8/2019 6:01 pm  #2

Re: Dave McCann & Martin Harvey

-Sad news-as the years pass by we lose another stalwart or two.Their hearts were truly in the club-Dave gave so much time in various duties over such a long period.Condolences to their families & friends.

09/8/2019 6:34 pm  #3

Very sad to read the passing of two Terror Stalwarts.  I think I would recognise Martin Harvey, if he stood on the far side of the ground. Sorry to hear he had to suffer a long illness and my condolences go to his family.

Although I did not know Dave McCann personally, he seemed to be a permanent fixture at the club over many decades. Dave first appeared in the 1965/66 handbook as Assistant Treasurer, taking over the role from Bob Creswell. Bob another very long-term volunteer first joined Mitcham Wanderers in 1920, and continued his duties with the amalgamates clubs,  and was Assistant Treasurer for many years. After Bob retired, Dave continued in the same role for many years. The handbook states Dave lived in Bromley, and I believe he may have lived up until his passing.

Over the last few years, I have often been to away games, especially the mid-week games, and witnessed Dave scurrying along the path at quite a rate, despite having a walking stick for assistance.   I know he was always with a small group of supporters who went everywhere together.

A true legend for his service to the club, and will be missed by all at the club, especially his close friends and family.  May both Dave and Martin rest in peace.

Last edited by Mikem (09/8/2019 6:35 pm)

09/8/2019 7:18 pm  #4

I was lucky to be able stand with Martin for well over ten years opposite the main stand through good, bad and indifferent team performances with never a bad word towards the opponents or match officials unless it was deserved: which meant every match.

He had been unwell for a number of years but was able to finish off his years of attending games in our big promotion season.  He was a lovely bloke who I will miss.

09/8/2019 8:09 pm  #5

I also stood with Martin, Ev and Paul Irons for over a decade.Martin was the one that convinced me to do the Vernon Francis fund. A true gent  and Tooting and Mitcham through and thorugh,
Rip Martin love Gary and Mason xxx

Last edited by The Administrator (10/8/2019 7:33 am)

Board footera