“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08/12/2019 12:33 pm  #1

Chertsey Game

Well what a difference a week makes. Last Saturday we looked low in confidence and were struggling to turn possession into goals. Yesterday was a comprehensive demolition of fellow promotion hopefulls Chertsey Town. From the kick off to the final whistle we completely dominated the opposition, scoring five fantastic goals and restricted Chertsey to very few efforts on our goal.  I was slightly worried to find Danny Basset on the bench at the start but that concern was forgotten very quickly as we tore into Chertsey from the off with chances coming every few minutes it seemed.  Every pass came off and every cross looked like it was likely to result in a goal.  We didn't have to wait long, a cool finish from Hady Ghandour started the scoring spree and he doubled his account with a superbly taken headed goal which put us  2 nil up at half time.

The second half saw us protecting our lead and concede a bit more possession to Chertsey, but they we,re not able to trouble our back 4 too much, we looked dangerous on the break and their keeper was far the more busier of the two. On came Danny Basset and the goal of the game followed soon after.  A smart move down the right hand side, another dangerous cross and a  superbly taken header from Ghandour gave him his hat trick and send the massed Tooting hoardes behind that goal into wild celebrations. Hady Ghandour was having the game of his life and he had time to hit the crossbar with another effort before scoring his fourth goal with a predatory finish from 6 yards out. By this time Chertsey were completely demoralised and a fifth Tooting goal at the end completed the rout.

Just as important as the vital 3 points was the confidence that ran through the entire team. If we can capitalise on that , start beating the teams around us and  win our games in hand we will be in the mix going into the new year.
Roll on next Saturday, another vital game against promotion chasing Ware.

08/12/2019 2:18 pm  #2

Re: Chertsey Game

Agree about James Shaw, Gary.  We've been through an awful lot of goalkeepers the last couple of seasons and at last we have  a settled, quality keeper, safe and dependable, which in turn makes the defenders in front of him play with more confidence.  I have been informed that I forgot a Chertsey penalty in the first half, which was saved by James, not the best taken, but it still needed saving.

08/12/2019 3:01 pm  #3

Hady looked a promising talent in the second game I saw him play against Egham last season. He came off the bench to change a likely defeat into a comeback win (3-1 down to 3-4).
He always worked hard even during the long 1st team goal drought. Now the strength is coming into his game, sometimes it is easy to forget they are playing against older players.

I think Jake Baxter tried to outwit James Shaw when taking the penalty but Shaw "Taylor" kept his eyes peeled to save. A vocal goalkeeper which is a great asset as his words are constructive.
All real team performance by all.

"Cornelius and Ashley's Black and White Army"
"Cornelius and Ashley's Black and White Army"
"Cornelius and Ashley's Black and White Army" ...

08/12/2019 3:11 pm  #4

In the league we have only let in nine goals all season!

Board footera