“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13/3/2020 2:47 pm  #1

The Dreaded C Word

As the premier league , EFL (and the Surrey County Womens & Girls League) fixtures are all off does any one know what the Isthmian league is planning?

13/3/2020 3:31 pm  #2

Re: The Dreaded C Word

League Statement
The safety and wellbeing of all those associated with the League - our players, volunteers, Club Officials, Match Officials and supporters - is our number one priority, and we are closely monitoring the situation and carefully following advice from Public Health England.The Board has decided that as an immediate step matches scheduled for tomorrow and next midweek will be postponed and we will review the situation daily as to when fixtures can recommence.We understand the enormous financial impact this will have on many Clubs, but the Board feels that it is better to err on the side of caution at this time. We hope that by taking this step we can delay the spread of the virus and we earnestly hope that with the right approach there will be as few persons as possible suffering either directly or indirectly.We look forward to the resumption of the fixtures as soon as possible.N. R Robinson
Chairman
Isthmian Football League.

13/3/2020 8:31 pm  #3

Do we think this will end the season ? On the positive side we might get a few Tuesday night midweek home games.

13/3/2020 10:04 pm  #4

Just as we might have begun to make a late sprint for a playoff spot.
I was looking forward to seeing our new players again as well.
What a shame!

13/3/2020 10:10 pm  #5

What I find most annoying is the panic reporting by the news media, combined with the panic buying by some members of the public.
Went with the wife to do our weekly shop today in "Sainsburys", not a toilet roll in sight, and the shelves of many popular items were bare.
What is wrong with people, not only are they selfish but if they shopped as they normally do there would be no shortages at all.
What a sad indictment of the human race!
I

13/3/2020 10:38 pm  #6

I think it is odd that it is cancelled as the National Leagues are still playing. I see Sutton's game is on.

If anyone needs a sporting fix, I see Merton Rugby's game is on against London Media who are top of Surrey League Three. Merton always make people feel welcome and I understand they have just got their bar back from the council.

14/3/2020 3:00 pm  #7

the big problem as i see it is will the ishmian league stick to there usual very strict rule that all games must be played by a certain date judging by what they have said in the past i think quite a few teams may well struggle to complete their fixtures by the leagues deadline,also some teams in our league will suffer financially and may well go out of business depending on how long this virus problem goes on

14/3/2020 3:22 pm  #8

I dont think there is any chance of Isthmian completing its fixtures by the specified date. And if cases are still rising in 2 weeks time there is no logical reason to reconvene games.

I do understand why the league has strict rules about season dates as they don't want to be seen to be making allowances for one club and not another. And there are still clubs at our level that just aren't set up for playing into May or later. Apart from contracts there is the issue of ground availability for some clubs.

So unless there is a major drop in virus cases I think the Isthmian should be abandoned and restart next season with the same leagues.

And if they abandon the Premier League as well it would be the most hilarious sporting moment of my life!.

14/3/2020 9:56 pm  #9

I have to agree Roger, If Liverpool do not win the league it would be funny. 
Also I wondered why the National League are playing , the Combine Counties are also playing but we are not. Although this could be irrelevant if the government ban sporting events next week.
Grass roots rugby is business as usual. I went to a good game today.

14/3/2020 10:09 pm  #10

A new statement from the Board of the Isthmian League
Following the suspension of fixtures yesterday the Board of Directors of the League met by video conference at lunchtime today.There is little doubt that the decision made to suspend was the most critical decision made by this League since the fixtures were suspended in September 1939.The consensus of opinion is that the decision to suspend was the right one and it will be more difficult to rule whether or not the season can be continued. Such a decision has to be taken in the light of all existing information.The Football Association has convened a conference call for 4pm on Monday to review the events of the weekend and the Government has indicated that it will announce whether to postpone gatherings early next week.The Board will therefore convene at 6pm on Monday to decide what date to put on the suspension so that Clubs have a clear view of what is happening and can make plans themselves.In the meantime, no decisions are being made about the League, about play off matches or promotion and relegation. There is no information at present about financial support from either The FA or Government, but these are all ongoing concerns which we continue to voice. The only matter which is clear at present is that contract players need to be paid, unless those players agree not to be paidThere is no ban on non-competitive matches, but Clubs are asked to bear in mind all facts before making any decisions about the holding of any events.It is a matter of regret that we are unable to be more positive at present, but the greater majority of Clubs have indicated their understanding of the Board’s position. One or two responses have been less helpful than others and all that can be said is that as soon as rational decisions can be made the Board will make those decisions, however difficult they areIn the meantime, the Board hope that all connected with the League remain in good health.Nick Robinson
Chairman
Isthmian Football League

15/3/2020 9:12 pm  #11

For those supporters who are of a certain age, like myself, I do not remember this nonsense during the last pandemic in 1959, Asian flu it was called and guess where it started yes you guessed it China..
My parents still went to work and life as I remember it went on.
I was unfortunate to catch it and it was not pleasant, but the up side was being unable to go to school.
Certainly plenty of people around the world died but the world got over it in time.
Come of FA, give us our Saturdays back!

17/3/2020 11:36 am  #12

From the Isthmian League website

The FA released this statement yesterday evening. We thought we'd share it with you.
The FA yesterday released this statement on the steps to be taken regarding coronavirus. We felt that it was worth sharing it with you in full. See below:

“Following the Government’s announcement today, for people to avoid social contact and gatherings where possible, we are now advising that all grassroots football in England is postponed for the foreseeable future.

Throughout this period, we have taken Government advice with the priority being the health and wellbeing of all. We will continue to work closely with the grassroots game during this time.
We are in regular communication with the Government and the situation within English football at all levels remains under regular review. Further updates will follow as needed.”

The Premier League, EFL, and the Leagues of the NLS have now suspended fixtures.

As the Governing Body our advice to all in the game is that no football continues for the foreseeable time. We hope that Counties, Clubs and Leagues work collaboratively and take this advice and apply it. We are confident that, given today’s Government advice, this will be the case.

This scenario presents a unique situation for not only the NLS but football in its entirety. The FA’s Alliance and Leagues Committees along with The FA executive, are committed to work tirelessly to find a solution moving forward and will update Leagues and Clubs in the coming weeks.

Thank you for your continued support and understanding.

17/3/2020 3:28 pm  #13

A new statement from the Board of the Isthmian League
Following statements from the UK Government yesterday as well as statements from The FA, the Leagues forming Steps 1-4 of the National Leagues System with representatives of Steps 5-6 met by conference call and decided that all matches be suspended until April 3.The Isthmian League Board also met yesterday by video conference and agreed that all matches, including the Development League, the Youth League and Cup, The Women’s Cup and the Velocity Trophy be suspended until that date.The likelihood is that matches will not start again on 4 April, and in the meantime the League will work with all others in the game to ensure that Clubs are kept up to date with the latest information.It cannot be stressed too much that these are unprecedented times. The Board will do what it can to ensure that football can recommence as soon as possible, and that the League does not put more pressure on Clubs financially while the future is unknown.N. R Robinson
Chairman
Isthmian Football League.

Board footera