“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/3/2020 6:19 pm  #1

I had a dream

When I was just a lad of 14 summers in 1953 I had a dream that I would get to see my already beloved Tooting and Mitcham play at Wembley Stadium. We had a very winnable quarter final home draw in the Amateur Cup against Walton and Hersham. Sadly it ended 0-0 as did the replay, when we played most of the match with 10 men after popular winger Billy Cockerton broke his leg,and we lost the third match 2-1 at Kingstonian's ground. Never mind,two more quarter finals followed in 1956 and 1957 but we lost to Kingstonian and Corinthian Casuals in weather and ground conditions that would be unthinkable nowadays. The dream lived on but we had to wait until 1976 for another quarter final this time in the FA Trophy. Following our run to the 4th round of the FA Cup we were probably favourites but had the worst possible draw away to Scarborough and duly lost 1-0, As Tooting's fortunes faded so did the dream but they were revived following our effective relegation from the FA Trophy to the FA.Vase. In 2001 we reached the quarter finals of the Vase but once more had the worst possible draw away to Taunton who had beaten us decisively the previous season and did so again with outstanding attacking displays................             As most  of you know I moved to Yorkshire in 2013 when Harrogate Town became a sort of substitute team  for Tooting and maybe inherited the dream, I have been here at a time of success broadly comparable to the 3 year periods.Tooting had at the end of the 1950s and mid 1960s, Town have reached the semi finals of the FA Trophy so the dream lives on. As one of the dwindling band of supporters who attended both matches against Nottingham Forest.it is  a curious coincidence that it is two matches against Notts County (plus perhaps the C word) that  stand between the fulfilment of the dream.. 

28/7/2020 5:09 pm  #2

Re: I had a dream

Much water has passed under the bridges of the Wandle and Wharfe rivers since my March posting but football is back and Harrogate Town have progressed to Wembley in the National League play offs. If you were watching BT Sport on Saturday I hope you enjoyed the victory over Boreham Wood and that on Sunday you will be supporting the team in yellow and black rather than the one in black and white. Sadly no spectators at either match but my £20 cardboard alter ego is my substitute. I obviously want Town to win but I am not very enthusiastic about playing in FL2 except that matches against Bradford City would double as local derbies and bring back memories of 1976.As to the FA Trophy the semi final matches have not yet been played or scheduled. The rumour mill is that the FA are delaying things so that eventually the Trophy and Vase finals can be used as a trial for limited spectators at Wembley.Que sera sera! PROUD TO BE TOWN AND A TERROR  

29/7/2020 8:36 am  #3

After 60+ years of dreaming of your team at Wembley, when they finally get there, YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED IN TO WATCH!  

I hope the FA Trophy works out better for you...

03/8/2020 3:03 pm  #4

Excellent news Mike. As you know Harrogate Town have been my 2nd non-League club since seeing them up there a few years ago.
Funny how when I went there the Weavers were being pilloried by the fans and they were baying for the managers blood - how times change 

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

03/8/2020 11:00 pm  #5

Yes a very enjoyable afternoon albeit from my armchair. Town could be better equipped for FL2  than champions Barrow who have already lost their manager (to Bolton)  and their captain. As for the Weavers, supporters now recognise that none of this success could have been achieved without the riches of Chairman Irving and that Simon has developed into a very effective manager of a of a team punching well  above their weight. 

Board footera