“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29/5/2021 5:37 am  #1

Sandy Lane Nostalgia

This is my first post to this forum and I pleased to be in the Bog End fold.  I have been living in the Middle-East for the past 20 years, so this has been my main channel for keeping up with Terrors' latest developments.  The year I left England was the last year that Sandy Lane was used as Tooting and Mitcham's home ground, so I have not actually physically attended a game at Imperial Fields.

As I used to live near Sandy Lane, I am still nostalgic for the great memories I had there.  My first season watching the Terrors was the 1976/77 season, the year after their second famous FA Cup run.  I was wandering if anybody has TV footage of the FA Cup replay victory over Swindon Town. I remember watching the goals on TV back then but would love to see them again.

I was also wondering if anybody has any TV footage of the 1958 FA Cup second round game against Northampton Town. My enthusiasm to see these highlights has been fueled by was the following 2 gems that I recently found on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mfyscQJO-M

An interview on Match of the Day with Roy Dwight after the 2-2 draw at Swindon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfMzLRbqDSc

Highlights of Tooting and Mitcham's victory over Bournemouth in the the First Round of the FA Cup in 1958.

Clearly the defeats that the Terrors inflicted on these 2 clubs played a large part in both these clubs eventually  reaching the top flight.

Look forward to some replies.

29/5/2021 9:05 am  #2

Re: Sandy Lane Nostalgia

Yes, it is a great shame that Alan Ives' great winner does not look to have been captured on film.  I would have thought that it would have made the news.

29/5/2021 10:00 am  #3

Hi, welcome to the forum. I am sure that I have seen footage of the Swindon Town replay. A few minutes were shown on ITV's News at Ten that evening. I will investigate and post on here if I discover anything. I have recently spoken to Alan Ives. He is 70+ and recently represented Surrey in the Over 70s age group at badminton ! My reason for contacting Alan was research for a book I am currently putting together about T & M in the 1970s. The research has been delayed due to the pandemic but I am hoping to publish in a few months'  time. Newer members of this forum may not be aware that I have written and published two other books about T &M  - " Tooting On The Move - A Farewell To Sandy Lane " 2002 ( sold out ) and " We Woz Robbed In '59 - Tooting & Mitcham United's epic 1958/59 season, set to a background of local events of the time " 2018 ( cover price £10, copies still available - contact me on brooksjeff18@aol.com if interested )

01/6/2021 12:18 pm  #4

03/6/2021 5:42 am  #5

The replay against Swindon Town was definitely televised, and I found the following exert from an article in the Sutton and Croydon Guardian, 6th February, 2008 relating to a reunion of the 1970s squad:

"It will consist of an audio-visual look back at those halcyon days, including a short film of the Swindon game, "

So clearly there is some footage of this game still available somewhere.

Also, it appears that the BBC covered the 2nd round FA cup game against Northampton Town as well as the third round game against Nottingham Forest.

Last edited by wanderer (03/6/2021 5:52 am)

Board footera