“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14/6/2021 4:24 pm  #1

Martin Hazlewood

Martin Hazlewood had been a long time committee member at Sandy Lane and when we moved to Imperial Fields he was a founding member and first chairman of the newly formed Members Club. His son, Henry, has written a short piece about his father, which you can read  below.

I hope you are well. I'm contacting you on behalf of my father, Martin Hazlewood, who sadly passed away on Wednesday 9th June. He had a short battle with bladder cancer and died surrounded by family. My dad was a life-long Tooting & Mitcham fan and despite the ups and downs in his life, the football club seemed to be his one constant. I think this was pretty well summed up when my brother and I collected him from his flat for the last time, to return back to family in Suffolk. Dad opted to only take one item from his flat which was a Tooting and Mitcham calendar that took position next to his bed until the moment he passed. We believe dad was once Chairman of the club going back 20 years or so ago? We all remember this being an incredibly fond time of his life. In more recent years, he was renowned for entwining friends to come along and watch Tooting play - me and my brother have some memorable occasions where we were the recipients of this offer! I wanted to reach out to you as dad had very few wishes for when he had passed... no funeral service... no fuss. However his one specific request was to be cremated (which will take place on 21st June) and for his ashes to be scattered on the Tooting and Mitcham pitch. I appreciate that this may not fully be possible but I know he would have loved it if you think this is something you can do. If not, I'd love to know if you have any other suggestions... Thank you for your time and look forward to your reply. Kind regards, Henry Hazlewood

14/6/2021 7:04 pm  #2

Re: Martin Hazlewood

HELLO HENRY, I WAS DEVESTATED TO HEAR THE NEWS REGARDING YOUR DAD MARTIN. WE HAD KNOWN EACH OTHER FOR A FEW YEARS. HENRY, I HAVE ASKED ONE OF THE GUYS AT THE CLUB & I HAVE HIM TO READ YOUR LETTER. PERHAPS HE COULD HELP WITH YOUR REQUEST

14/6/2021 7:34 pm  #3

Yes - knew Martin for years down at Tooting. I'm sure we used to call him Director of Football for a while! Not sure it was an official title though. There was also one time when star striker Paul Vines decided to stay with us despite lucrative offers from elsewhere. Martin organised a pound a goal bonus from a number of the bog end fans. So every time Vinesey scored there would be Martin rattling his tin.

14/6/2021 10:43 pm  #4

I am finding this news very difficult to take in. Martin was really a true gentleman and a real hardcore fan with a  real passion for the club. I used to spend hours talking football with him and would moan to him about blowing smoke in my face as he chain smoked cigarettes. Which was a bit rich because people would complain I did that to them when I smoked.
Last time I saw him he was working in France and travelling back at weekends to watch Tooting. He was a bit of a lovey and loved the theatre which I also like. He knew my Grandparent's my parents my kids....
I can't believe I won't see him again at a game. For once I am speechless....
RIP Martin...  and thank you for everything you have done to help me ... sleep well mate 🙏

Last edited by The Administrator (14/6/2021 10:49 pm)

15/6/2021 4:52 am  #5

Sad news.  He used to chat to Gary and me.  A nice bloke all around.

15/6/2021 3:14 pm  #6

Thank you all for your responses. So lovely to hear your stories and memories of dad.

17/6/2021 8:22 am  #7

I am very sad to hear of Martin's passing.
In his time as chairman of the Members Club he worked very hard to introduce several new initiatives and always tried to do his best for the club.
He was particularly helpful to me in the production of our handbook, particularly on the IT side, for which I was very grateful.
He had immense charm and I personally will miss him very much.

14/3/2022 5:38 pm  #8

Yes it was done on the pitch pre-match, but I couldn't tell you the exact date though.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

16/3/2022 10:34 am  #9

Yes it was done, but I couldn't tell you the exact date though.

16/3/2022 1:45 pm  #10

Update :
The appreciation for Martin Hazlewood was on Saturday 2nd October 2021 at the Northwood game. There was an article about him in the programme.
From Ian Bullock.

16/3/2022 3:12 pm  #11

That was the 7-3 game.  A decent send off.

Looking at the team they've all gone apart from Waters, who seems to be a 1 man team just recently.

Board footera