“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/8/2021 9:55 pm  #1

Tooting are out of the FA Cup at the Extra preliminary round

Tooting was losing when Danny Williams came on for Mike Dixon on the 60th minute and equalised in the 67th minute.  It could of been a different result if we converted a penalty but blasted it over the bar in the 75th minute.
Erith and Belvedere won 3- 1 in extra time. They play their football in the Combined Counties Premier , a league below us.
Is this a new low for the first team or does it help us focus on our league campaign?
Our starting 11 was
Campbell
Krokhin
Belford
Hamlin (c)
Fearon
Jelley
Waters
Rose
Dixon
Stewart
Sesay

11/8/2021 10:48 pm  #2

Re: Tooting are out of the FA Cup at the Extra preliminary round

Knocked out in the extra preliminary  round of the FA cup, to a team which plays in the The Southern Counties East League ( the old Kent League). We have now reached another awful low for the Football Team!  The first half was dreadful again, defence was a shambles and often caught down the flanks. Corners and crosses wasted, and only one powder puff shot on target. The second half was only marginally better, but the Deres ran themselves into  the ground chasing and blocking everything.. They took a deserved lead, but Williams equalised. with a well taken goal. The Deres were still causing havoc down the flanks, but the Terrors hit a post and then fired a penalty over the bar, and the ball was last seen rolling down Welling high street.  The Deres struck again in the firsts half of extra time, with a fluke goal when a cross from the right bye-line floated into  the net with the keeper  pole dancing around the woodwork.  As I was leaving the ground in disgust Erith scored another goal, just to rub salt into  the wounds. .

What a great start to  the season, the  team urgently needs a major shake up after two games.

11/8/2021 11:14 pm  #3

True reflection of the game Mike.

And it has to be said, we were not very good.

We were missing some key players in Daryl Coleman (injured) Nathan Daly (?), Peter Wedgeworth (?), Gary Ross (Bench), Jamari Brissett (?), and Billy Brown (?)

Do we have a injury crisis before the season has even started, or have some of these players moved on?

Krokhin looks like a great addition, and I'm not ready to press the panic button just yet. But we need a much improved team sheet and performance for our opening league fixture on Saturday.

Last edited by DarrenP (12/8/2021 5:12 am)

12/8/2021 9:55 am  #4

A independent report of the game  below by  the Non League Chronicle Charlie Bradford.
Do the management regret not playing Super Gary Ross ?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=957631604799158&id=229086534320339

12/8/2021 11:29 am  #5

Did I see a Bassett coming on as a late sub?  Was that Danny returning to the fold?

12/8/2021 12:17 pm  #6

Jordan Cheadle told me that Danny Bassett has signed for Carshalton.  Cheadle himself has committed to another season with the Robins.

12/8/2021 2:22 pm  #7

Edgeoftheb ox wrote:

Did I see a Bassett coming on as a late sub?  Was that Danny returning to the fold?

No not Danny but a relation of his. I don’t think he’s ready for first team. You asked about the players missing,it would be nice if club kept us updated.

12/8/2021 2:27 pm  #8

My question I would like the management to answer . Are we going to bench seasoned first team players so that the kids can play as we did last night with Gary Ross? Not a dig but a genuine question.
I did hear from a recent interview that the club is all about youth development and if we win football matches that is a bonus.

12/8/2021 6:43 pm  #9

Spot on Gary.  I don't think that the club is about first team success anymore.  Our humiliation in the Premier told me all that I needed to know about the club's ambition.  To be honest, I don't think that those making the decisions care what league we are in as the money lies elsewhere.

I won't be attending much anymore.  I've finally lost heart.

13/8/2021 11:40 am  #10

From the official Tooting and Mitcham Twitter account.

"Although it was a disappointing result it was great to see two debutants last night.

Leevi Bassett, entering his second year of the academy scholarship, came on in the second half of extra time alongside Carlos Simao, current U23s player. "

13/8/2021 12:08 pm  #11

Well that sums it up really: it's ok to lose in the FA Cup, a potential money making competition, to a team in a league below us so long as academy players get a run out.

Disappointing result? What is that supposed to mean?  What it should read is: we let the fans down last night and are going to do something about it.

13/8/2021 4:42 pm  #12

Well Said!  T&M have the players to do well in this league if the management take their job seriously.  The supporters are not thrilled by youngsters "having a go" and losing..  This is not a play group!

13/8/2021 6:14 pm  #13

I do think they take their jobs very seriously and they are very good at their jobs.  If their brief and target is to develop and to give as many kids away for free to pro clubs in order for the club to look good to get planning permission from the mayor, then they are doing the job the owner wants them to do. None of us so called supporters know this for sure but from the outside it does look this way.
I really didn't expect to have this conversation so early on in the season . I really wanted to remain positive.  But now others are seeing what I was saying two seasons ago.
Are we going to look forward to Tom Jelley just playing for a hour now? To make room for a kid that they can try and develop  ? It has happened in the last 2 games . Best RB or RWB in our league , we are lucky to have him.

13/8/2021 6:20 pm  #14

Hot of the press from the official Tooting and Mitcham United Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/OfficialTmufc/status/1426221347424935937?s=20

13/8/2021 6:41 pm  #15

This guys are so good at developing players. Honestly how a pro club hasn't got them in charge of their youth set up is beyond me. Maybe this will happen, it would be ironic if a pro club took our two managers for free.
This is a interview of them sharing their expert knowledge. It really is an amazing watch and listening to these two guys who know exactly what their doing.

Did Cornelius say that the under 23s is more important than the first team ? Surely not.... 36.37 min of video.

https://youtu.be/RspiMSD2maY

Board footera