“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06/12/2021 10:42 am  #1

Isaiah Jones

I
For those who don’t know Isaiah Jones (pictured celebrating below) scored his first league and winning goal for Middlesbrough Saturday. I have been tracking his progress, and last season whilst on loan to Queen of the South, I viewed a live TV Football match V’s Hearts, when Isaiah scored in the 1-1 draw and he was voted “Man of the Match” for his outstanding display.
Just think he gave playing in the South Central League to play at this level, bad decision lol.
Neil Warnock gave Jones his opportunity, but has now left the club. With a long injury list Jones maybe getting a good run in the team. With a reputation for saving clubs from relegation, I wonder if he would like the Tooting!!!!!
Link to interview with Isaiah after Saturdays game.

saiah Jones reveals his pride after scoring his first goal for Middlesbrough in Swans win - Teesside Live (gazettelive.co.uk)

Last edited by Mikem (06/12/2021 10:42 am)

19/12/2021 2:02 pm  #2

Re: Isaiah Jones

I watched Isaiah Jones star in Middlesbroughs one nil win over Bournemouth yesterday on the telly. To think I didn't even rate him that much in his time at Tooting. Shows how much I know, even after watching football for 50 odd years. I think that football scouts are  looking for the things that are not obvious to the normal average football watcher, work rate and positioning out of possession, mental application even if having a terrible game, etc etc. We'll have to see if he progresses any further. I didn't think Antonio had a Premier League career in him but I got that wrong as well !

20/12/2021 8:57 am  #3

You aren't the only one who thought Jones was a bit short of what it takes.  From what I saw he always seemed to pick it up too deep and always tried to beat his man.  I didn't think he had enough variety in his game.  Also he was very slight.  Obviously professional training will build up his physique and has clearly improved his decision making.

As for Antonio, I did think he lacked pace the first time I saw him, but I soon realised he was the real deal.  As for being a Premier League legend, I probably didn't think that!

26/12/2021 6:59 pm  #4

I missed the Middlesbrough V Bournemouth game due to my aborted travels to Imperial Fields, so I cannot comment on Isaiah Jones performance. But I watched the game against Nottingham Forest today, and he  was outstanding playing down the right-hand side, with some accurate passing and dangerous crossing, plus an oblique shot which cannoned against a post. He was given a standing ovation by the home crowd while walking half way around the ground after being substituted in the 83rd minute. He is clearly playing to orders, and I suspect against Bournemouth which was a key game for the Middlesbrough, which probably restricted his in-built ability even more.

Playing for Tooting in the pits of the Isthmian League South Central League, any one with talent would shine out in this abysmal league. After a trial for the Borough, he was signed up and went on Loan to Queen of the South, where he was outstanding and not restricted in his play. Both Warnock and Wilder have identified his talents, and is being groomed to play at a much higher level of Football, and long may it continue.

Today’s Sky Sports commentator mentioned Jones had been signed from Tooting and Mitcham, and he also mentioned Forest reached won Cup Final in 1959, but failed to mention only a cheated penalty decision robbed the Terrors of Victory. A number of pages are devoted to the game and the subsequent reply in the Nottingham Forest 1959 Cup triumph, And the ref was called Clough.”  A great read and published in 2009.

Last edited by Mikem (26/12/2021 7:01 pm)

Board footera