“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15/1/2022 8:32 pm  #1

Guernsey match

Entering the turnstiles, I hear a roar Tooting have scored after two minutes from a penalty taken by Mark Walters. The next 15 minutes Tooting controlled the game. Then Guernsey found some rhythm and scored after the Tooting defence were asleep after a short corner, and the ball was guided over to far post and Guernsey equalised with an easy header. Guernsey were now in control of the game, and remained so for the remainder of the half.

Imperial Fields grass pitch has been in excellent condition since start of the season, but the muddy conditions and numerous lumps out of the turf made playing a passing game almost impossible, with many passes going astray, and the ball bobbling about all over the place.  

The second half started with Tooting on the attack and basically remained so for the rest of the half. There were a few chances created and Dixon missed a sitter after being put through with only the goalkeeper to beat but shot hopelessly wide.  Guernsey somehow held out, especially in the last 10 minutes after a last-ditch effort by the home team to score a winner. If only Tooting had a regular goal scorer!

A valuable point for both teams, but Guernsey are now bottom of the league and Tooting have slipped one place down to 12th. On this showing, Guernsey look a poor team, and with games in hand I think they will still struggle to close the gap. Shock away wins by Northwood and Chalfont St Peter have really put pressure on the bottom clubs!

Amazing attendance of 329 for this match, just how many would attend if Tooting were in the play off positions?

15/1/2022 10:06 pm  #2

Re: Guernsey match

Mike you say if we only had a regular goalscorer well we did Dan williams but hes gone .

16/1/2022 6:10 am  #3

Dan, at this level a club needs either two 20 plus goals a year strikers or one 30 plus goals a year striker, plus a functioning midfield to supply them.    And of course, a bit more money as good strikers come at a premium.

16/1/2022 11:24 am  #4

I was quite surprised that Guernsey seemed to settle for a point in the second half. They got themselves back in the game after going behind early and arguably went into the break the stronger of the two sides.
The pitch looks ok from a distance but does seem very bobbly and makes for a more difficult passing game. I don't know if that can be easily rectified by heavy roller or maybe the weather is hampering things.

The last two home league games have seen 300 plus attendances, with not much to cheer about. As Mike says, a team challenging for promotion and a winning team should push up crowds even more.

Board footera