“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03/2/2022 10:13 am  #1

New fan email

Just thought I'd share an email recently sent to one of the Members Club.

I recently attended my first Tooting and Mitcham game and though I’d like to share my experience with people at the club.
At the hospital we received an offer to attend a real live football match for a fiver! A bunch of us were up for it and set about researching the journey and what to expect. We headed to the club website and were pleased to see a club for the community.
But what to expect? We found The Bogend Forum and started reading different threads between the six of us. To say it was dark is an underestimation. Some likened it to some of the Nordic Noir series we’d watched on Netflix. We had almost given up and settled for more xbox Saturday entertainment when Giles said “Guys check out the 26th August. Come to Imperial Fields for free” Which actually started very positively, which was a massive shock on that site, but was soon dragged down with negativity. Any hoo we all headed to South London Is Black and White. OMG some positivity, even in the face of recent poor results. This rejuvenated our enthusiasm and even had some getting ahead of themselves with talk of away days.
So it was settled and seven of us headed off down Longley road to catch the 280. A trip to the famous Ramble seen as maybe a step too far for us newbies. But one that will be rectified in the future.
Upon arrival we were pleasantly surprised. Great looking ground, very pleasant welcome by two old guys on the turnstiles. (I feel I have to mitigate that statement with the fact that we are students and therefore over 25 is old). Once inside we liked the ambience, the look of the shop and signage etc, there was a good atmosphere, a buzz. We availed ourselves of a few pints and a few scarves and moved on. Boom we were hit by one of the WAS fans. It’s what we now call them as it seems to sum up their likeness to Waldorf and Statler from the Muppets and the fact that they was fans, but no longer. I’m reminded of line from a film “If your past is your present, how can you have a future”. He thought he was at Hyde Park, stood on a soap box giving off about the new accessible toilet and baby changing facility to anyone that would listen, strange.
We thought about a seat in the stands but were unsure if our entry price afforded us a seat. A very pleasant gentleman (Thought I’d better stop being ageist), explained we certainly could but we’d be better off with the Bogenders behind the goal for a bit of banter. Sold.
It was a great afternoon, we joined in the drinking, we joined in the banter, we joined in the singing. And when we sang about the Tooting submarine a gent with a strange Tooting accent came over to explain the story behind the Sisley submarine, wonderful. John couldn’t believe it when he turned up a little late as the whole terrace joined in to sing Happy Birthday. We were directed to the bar under the stand for half time, The Shak for sustenance, and importantly the tradition of changing ends. The welcome was a credit to the calibre of fans the go to games and we understand loads of the work is done by volunteers.
After the last 2 years in the NHS this was a real tonic. Please pass on our thanks and as Arnie says “I’ll be back”

03/2/2022 2:33 pm  #2

Re: New fan email

Brassneck wrote:

Brilliant to read. These people are the future of the club not the few miserable gits who can’t move on from whatever supposed harms the club has inflicted on them.

All good to read for a change - It's a shame that this forum has been used by a very small minority (3 or 4 people) to bitch and moan about the club. When it should be used for both positive and negative opinions and news.

Personally I haven't posted for ages as I am pissed of with all the negativity and (watch this space) the slagging off I will get if I put anything positive....

03/2/2022 3:53 pm  #3

Dave M,
This forum is for free speech, within limited boundaries, and your views are most welcome. But please don’t forget “Slagging Off” works in both directions!  

The thank you email from NHS staff, is really positive, and I am pleased like most other clubs in the land we had a similar initiative.  It seems they had a great day out, and good luck to them, and yes, they are the future fans. The problem is retaining them and providing some decent football. You have not used this forum since October, really strange coincides with a dramatic loss of form. However, even you have even agreed with the views of some ”Ole Gits” on here.

It seems the Boris PR team are working overtime to get a message out there. After banning all member club directors from posting on here, they are now getting others to post for them. The infamous Woolley posting that he will not post anymore is laughable.  

Brassneck (Mr Brilliant), all of us would like to see a successful club and out of this dreadful level of football, even a few wins would be great where it would be possible to post positive views. We are not “Miserable Old Gits, we care very much about our team like everyone else, but have different views on its progress and structure.  We still await your brilliant match report from the Binfield game? And your views on the club would be most welcome.

Since 2005: The challenge is to make Tooting & Mitcham United FC the best semi-professional club in the land, one built on sound foundations of good practice in all matters!!

03/2/2022 4:02 pm  #4

Dear Mr Brassneck im afraid im probably one of those miserable gits you refer to in your post (not very nice
as you dont know me personally ) the fact that i have been following the club for more years than i care to remember does not make my opinions any more relevant than your own but i do know a little more perhaps about the ins and outs of the club than you probably do you being a relative newcomer you obviously buy into the MASTER PLAN of the owner but us miserable gits as you so kindly put it have heard it all before and it is all so much hot air when you have been following for a bit longer i think the scales might drop from your eyes.
Dont get me wrong we desperately need the injection of new supporters and its good to see all i will say dont make the mistake of believing the sun shines out of our benevolent owners arse because i can tell you it doesant unfortunatly that is why a lot of us miserable GITS dont bother any more,and dave m come on mate youve seen it for many years just like a lot of us.

03/2/2022 4:05 pm  #5

Well, 30 minutes for a response - what took you so long ? 

No sure what you mean by the "Boris PR team". 

Your response just proves that this forum is only to moan about the club and not be positive.

Good Bye

03/2/2022 4:15 pm  #6

Dave m i think your post is a bit churlish to say the least its all about opinions and free speech if you relly dont like the opinions that much all i can suggest is dont bother reading them

03/2/2022 4:29 pm  #7

Remember, the S & L directors work on a divide and conquer attitude since 2000!!!!  We are all doing an excellent job for them.

Since 2005 :The challenge is to make Tooting & Mitcham United FC the best semi-professional club in the land, one built on sound foundations of good practice in all matters!!

03/2/2022 4:50 pm  #8

Of course mike your right but i felt i had to respond when somebody starts calling people miserable gits
uncalled for and not nice forums are about free speech positive or negative

04/2/2022 10:27 am  #9

I have been requested to  post the undermentioned link to this forum subject.

Hackbridge Harry: Guest Blog From Darren Parker

04/2/2022 11:28 am  #10

A good read Darren with some very good points made.

Board footera