“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20/8/2022 5:22 pm  #1

Time for a change of Manager

I am now of the firm belief that things have to change with the management of the 1st team at Tooting. I will explain my reasoning, and give a suggestion of who I feel would be best suited to take us forward.

4 games into a new season we have a record of Won 1, drawn won, lost 2, with our sole win coming at lowley Cobham, a team one level below us. Not a great start for a team that should be looking at promotion, or have we now changed our aims to be only competitive in our division?

Today we went out of the greatest cup competition in the world to a team at the the same level as ourselves, who our Manager stated we didnt know a lot about! For me, that's a sackable statement alone!!

Our brand of football didnt get the job done Ashley. Why should it when we havent got a clue who we are playing? Surely we should have someone going to our rivals previous game, and reporting back on their strengths and weaknesses, style of play, and formation, or am I being too optimistic?

I actually thought for the majority of the first half today, we bossed the game, but conceeded the first goal to a ball over the top, where we were beaten for pace (maybe that was a strength we didnt pick up on), as our full backs found themselves high up the pitch. A good save by James parried the ball out to an unmarked oppo player (as our full back hadnt tracked back).

Our equaliser came from a great free kick struck low to the ground, where the big VCD keeper couldnt get down quick enough to keep it out. One all at half time, and quitely confident we could find a winner in the 2nd half.

Shamal Edwards seemed to be causing problems up top with his pace and agility, so why did we switch him to left back in the second half? Why did we bring on Ceesay and Bassett? How did they improve our team? If anything all the substitutions made us worse. Another failing of the Manager.

The third and final example I will offer is not getting more players in forward positions as soon as we went behind for the second time (too an appaling error from one of our most senior players). Football Webpages states we conceeded on 88 minutes. That leaves you very little time to get back into the game. Why not throw another man up top straight away, rather than leave it 5 minutes for Cory to decide to go forward.Dont give me this "leave the game management side to our senior players" rubbish. You are the manager, make the decisions you are paid to make!!!

So who do I suggest should take over? Hayden Bird. A manager with plenty of experience at our level, who would turn us into a decent non league football side that we could once again be proud of, and progress the club up the football ladder. Come on Steve Adkins, do the right thing, please!!!

Last edited by DarrenP (20/8/2022 5:46 pm)

20/8/2022 6:01 pm  #2

Re: Time for a change of Manager

Would absolutely love to get Hayden in but think he left Ks due to the budget for players being cut. As a manager he beleives in a smallish squad but gets that squad to play well together. If you think last season Ks has 3 players on double figures goals fairly early on. I think he would find us far too restrictive (Chairman and budget) - am sure he would be looking for a Conference South team to grab him. But, if we can get him...YES PLEASE!

20/8/2022 6:47 pm  #3

Another disgrace
ful exit from the premier cup competition, when will this disaster ever end! It won’t be any time soon!  
What manager would want to be associated with this football club in the way it operates. You would have to be an absolute idiot to manage Tooting unless your desperate.  Haydn Byrd would not touch our football team, especially after how he was treated last time he was interviewed!
Sit back and enjoy the season.

Since 2005: Quote “The challenge is to make Tooting & Mitcham United FC the best semi-professional club in the land, one built on sound foundations of good practice in all matters!!”  (You can’t make this up lol)

20/8/2022 10:00 pm  #4

DarrenP

Where have you popped up from?

What a load of nonsense. Agenda much.

20/8/2022 11:24 pm  #5

Joseph,

I have no agenda.

I have been following TMUFC, and attending as many games as I can since 2009. My first game was the FA Cup 4th qualyfying round draw Vs Eastbourne at Imperial Fields.

I have made many friends at Tooting, and Im sure some of the more regular supporters will happily point me out if you ever fancy a one on one chat.

In the mean time, I would be interested to read your take on today's performance, and our Managers superlatives....thats assuming you bothered to turn up!

20/8/2022 11:50 pm  #6

Darren p absolutely agree with with every word you  posted your spot on i dont know where this prick joseph hayes has come from but he should go back to where he came from asap..
This tooting  team is an absolute joke and i am a supporter since 1954

21/8/2022 10:40 am  #7

Darren P

Lets address a few of your points.

Your belief that the manager should be sacked seems to be on the basis of 4 results. Are you of the opinion that the performances have been worthy our position and that there has been nothing to be encouraged by?

Your presumption that no due diligence was done on yesterdays opposition is disappointing at best. I believe the manager made a comment at the recent fans forum that stated we didn't know much about them and I guess that would be what you have based this on. How do we know what goes on behind the scenes of the management staff? How do we know that a scouting report hasn't been undertaken? I think I am right in saying that the only immediate opportunity we would have had to do this would have been VCD's fixture against Three Bridges, the same night we played Merstham. We don't know that someone hasn't gone to watch that game and we don't know that the manager hasn't used contacts or references from players that played in that game. It certainly didn't feel like we had no idea what VCD would do and felt we nullify alot of what they wanted to do. I do concede however that we got caught out with the ball over the top or behind a few times. Maybe an individual error rather than a tactical one. 

I am not a tactical genius, however Shamal Edwards looked to have been moved to a Wing Back position which followed a change of formation. Wing back is a position Edwards has played regularly I believe and created an attacking threat which he still managed to provide wide on the left. To say the substitutions made us worse is laughable. Ceesay and Mbango impacted the game significantly and caused many a problem for VCD despite not having that desired outcome, a goal. I can only assume that another attacking change wasn't forthcoming due to an injury to our young Centre Half which forced the managers hand. An argument for allowing 5 subs from 7  at our level ensues. 

I felt your comments suggesting a change of manager at this stage, when performances have been encouraging, were uncalled for and unsubstantiated. Thats why it feels like an agenda.

21/8/2022 10:44 am  #8

Joseph H,

Darren P posted a full explanation on his views, you have called it “a load on nonsense”. please let us have your view, and why you say thus is a load of nonsense! Or is that all you have got to say?

It feels like another apologist as arrived

21/8/2022 10:51 am  #9

Daniel Collins

Feel free to concur with DarrenP by all means. However, please do try that without the slurs. On what basis do you believe I am "prick"? On the basis that someone disagrees with you? Do better please.

I trust your post will be removed by the Administrator due to its offensive nature. That's the rule right? Apologies, I'm new here.

For reference, concur : be of the same opinion; agree.

21/8/2022 10:57 am  #10

Joseph H, I must have been posting my response the same time as you. Why did you not post your full explanation on your first posting. It's taken all night to  give one? 

21/8/2022 10:59 am  #11

Probably a member of the whats app group who support our awful chairman and his useless management team.

21/8/2022 11:05 am  #12

Mikem

Apologies, I was sleeping. Haven't figured out how to type whilst asleep yet.

I felt DarrenP's comments warranted a proper response from myself  after my comment, so I took some time to reflect and hopefully give that proper response.

I completely understand some may not agree, however its just an opinion. We all have a right to express one.

21/8/2022 11:06 am  #13

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your reply.

My belief that the Manager should be sacked is not based entirely on the first four games, but also takes into account the dreadful results and performances of last season. 

My assumption that we did not prepare fully for yesterday's opponents is not based on a comment made by Ashley at the fans forum, but indeed what he said in an interview given after the midweek result against Merstham. Perhaps you should watch it, and then tell me I am wrong. Had Ashley said that we had sent someone to watch VCD's performance that night, or indeed had them watched on various occassions, then I would of course not mentioned the lack of preparation in my earlier posting. But he didnt! He said we dont know a lot about them, but would play our own brand of football and hoped it would be enough. That to me is not good enough, but then again perhaps I have higher expectations than you.

Maybe we were watching a different game. Eddie came on, and provided something different up front, without troubling the keeper. but that pushed Shamal back into defence, where I feel he was less effective, and the lack of goal scoring opportunites after the change backs up my assumption. I didnt notice any contribution from Anuar, and Leevi continually gave the ball away. 

When you go behind in a cup competition in the 88th minute, then you throw more bodies up front to try and salvage a draw, injuries or no injuries, no excuses.

Perhaps it's you that has the agenda!

21/8/2022 11:09 am  #14

Log time Fan Stefan has requested I post this message on his behalf. 
On the 26/7, Mike posted a message on my behalf, myself asking the question
[list=1]
[*]Is Ashley Bosah fit to take charge ?
[*]  2. Does he know what he is doing ? 
[*] 3. Can we obtain several proven strikers ? 
[/list]
Well, all I can say that it was our time today to deliver the result that our supporterswanted to see, a win in the Preliminary round of the FA Cup .Well, we wanted it but did our manager and our players wanted it ?The answer is clearly no.  Another soft exit from a competition that the fans badlywanted to be in, because as Darren stated, it’s the FA Cup. Surely if you’re aplayer and you have the opportunity of competing in this fine competition you want todo your best and get a result worthy of your place in the division you are in, and to takeon higher opposition. But we didn’t want it, our players and our manager and his assistants.The players were more interested in what was going off the pitch then on it, arguingand getting yellow cards because they were losing the fight to stay in this specialcompetition. And was it the football that the fans wanted to see. Clearly not. Can they play better, I don’t think so. And what would it take for them to play better.New management and some telling words. But with our current set up, it will not happen. How many shots on their goal – one ? When you look at all the result’s we have had this year from, start to finish, most clubswould have sacked their manager and started afresh but with our current chairmen itwill never happen.  And I was stupid enough to buy a season ticket, hoping that somemiracle will happen and we will do better this season.  Sorry, but it will never happenbased upon today’s performance. Our defence was making error after error and if itwasn’t for our goalkeeper, more goals would have been conceded.  Well doneEddie Mbango. Again, full of running and wanted to try and make the difference up frontfor the short time you was on the field, but for those of you who were there, it was nevergoing to happen unfortunately and it will never will, unless some positive action is taken   to replace who we have for somebody who is better and who wants the challenge tomanage this fine, once club and bring back some hope and optimism for the rest of theseason to the supporters who truly want to see better football then what’s currently beingplayed at the moment.  

Last edited by Mikem (21/8/2022 11:11 am)

21/8/2022 4:15 pm  #15

DarrenP

It seems a little disingenuous to suggest that the manager be sacked because of last seasons results and performances considering we seem to have a consensus that things have improved wouldn't you say?

My apologies for my factually incorrect statement. I knew I had heard it somewhere but you are absolutely correct, it was a post match interview, not at the forum as I stated. My comments are still valid though I believe. We don't know if a scouting report had been undertaken and there were not "various occasions" for this to take place. We can hardly expect any manager to know everything about every team in every division in the possibility we may cross paths one day. I find it extremely unplausible that no intel has been gathered on the opposition.

I think we can all have our opinion on impact. I don't believe the impact was significant enough, however to state we were worse off is just not accurate. We created a good few opportunities late on but our individual quality seemed to be lacking.

Everyone's a gaffer hey.

21/8/2022 4:23 pm  #16

Joseph hayes i called you what i called you basically because of the dismissive way you treated Darren P s
take on the way the club has gone like ( where have you popped up from ) and ( what a load of nonsense )
do you not think you were being rude and presuming that Darren hadnt been following tooting very long ,
i shouldant have used the word i did but no apology as other words would fit just as well after all we had Mr Poddington posting a little while ago that we were all sad sacks and dicks they are just words get over it. 

21/8/2022 4:52 pm  #17

Joseph,

So how long would you like to give Ashley to turn the ship around? Do you not feel that past performances should be taken into consideration? Are you happy at the level Tooting find themselves at?

I certainly do not hold a concensus that things have improved. Probably on a par with last seasons performances would be my conclusion.

And I stand by my assumption that little or no knowledge was gathered on yesterday's opponents. We knew on 6th August that we would be playing VCD Athletic. They had two league fixtures before playing us, giving ample opportunity for a scouting report to be undertaken. Had that been initiated, then Ashley would not of said we know little of our opponents. 

How can you state that we were worse off after the substitutions not being accurate? Where is the evidence? My evidence is we conceeded one goal and scored none! My evidence is that Leevi lost the ball on several occassions. My evidence is Anuar did not get involved in the game, and was largely absent. 

I fully accept that everyone is entitled to their own opinion on performance levels, team cohesion etc, but please dont just assume that my points are not valid or accurate. In my eyes they are. And I feel that I have more than justified my thoughts. All you have done is suggest I am completely innacurate, and have an agenda against the club. Perhaps you would be better served providing facts and reasons as to how and why performances have improved, and reasons to believe Ashley should continue in his job as 1st team Manager. 

21/8/2022 4:54 pm  #18

Daniel Collins

Fair play. I was being facetious. I didn't intend to offend anyone, my apologies.

Perhaps I wished to spark debate. Offer a different, less vindictive perspective.

I just don't understand why there seems to be such hatred and abuse for people that undeniably must  all want the same thing, for Tooting & Mitcham United to be successful.

It seems like everyones version of success differs somewhat and that seems to be the point of angst.

21/8/2022 6:10 pm  #19

joseph let me say that i dont have any hatred for anybody at the club you and others obviously have a completly different perspective on where we stand as a club and i confess i do not understand that perspective i dont know how long you have been a supporter but this club was even as late as the early 2000s still a force to be reckoned with since then we have become one of the jokes of the non league game.
Team after team has overtaken us and gone on to better things since steve adkins has taken over we have sunk lower and lower and if you are happy with where we are then so be it but eventually even the adkins fan club must see the light and realise he doesant give a monkeys about the football only the money.

21/8/2022 6:14 pm  #20

Its perhaps not fair to carry last years performances when judging what is happening this season. Last season there were joint managers, now we only have one. Why can't we just be supportive and provide encouragement rather than condemnation. The club should/could be playing higher but as you know, you don't always get what you want. As far as I'm aware, it wasn't our current manager that got us in this position. Frank Wilson was the culprit no? And at Merstham too if i'm not mistaken. Maybe we should get him back. Lol.

We can assume all we want on reporting, but I guess we'll never know. Why do you presume Ashley would not have said that? Perhaps he didn't want to reveal his hand? Perhaps he didn't want the opposition to know they have been watched. There seems to be this relentlessness that our management team are clueless without any real factual evidence. Do we have any evidence on their credentials? Does anybody know them personally? Is anyone aware of their professional lives/achievements? If so, please do come forth as I feel it may be very enlightening and beneficial for everyone to know.

We can debate forever regarding impact. Did the substitutes score? No. Were they culpable for the 2nd goal? No. It was Cory and James that let us down there. An impact cannot mean they must go out there and win us the game single-handedly, surely? You stated, we were worse. That is what I believe to be inaccurate. Without detailed statistics its impossible to prove either way so it will always be about an individuals feeling I guess.

I feel I too have justified my points. Agree to disagree I suppose. Dunno.

I have enjoyed the exchange DarrenP but to be honest it has been draining. It has taken substantial energy to go up against your hardline approach. I wouldn't like to go into anymore depth on my opinions at this time. I fully intend to engage in further conversations but I sense here, we have reached an impasse.

My last suggestion is that we just show our support and be positive rather than always shining a negative beacon on things always.

21/8/2022 7:02 pm  #21

If we look t the results and scraping survival last season, who was the manager? Beat Cobham which was great but have lost the other two (not so great...). I don't know how much budget Ashley has or what connections he has but getting in decent players seems to be an issue. Who was responsible for the huge turnover of players last season? The manager? Chairman not paying enough?

I just have an awful feeling that when each team in the league are sizing up where they are going to pick up a big win during the season or grab a much needed victory that a lot of them will have said "Yep, Tooting. We fancy ourselves for this one". 

There certainly have been some ups already this season. Dahdouh looks like he has very decent potential and Shamal and Jordan continue to flourish and we do have Daly to come back. But we need a couple of three decent and experienced names.

21/8/2022 7:26 pm  #22

Joseph,

I am sorry you feel that our conversation has been draining.

Frank Wilson got us promoted (with the help of Paul Dale), and then when Paul left our form declined, and we were relegated back down to the level where we currently find ourselves. He was, in my opinion quite rightly dismissed when he was.

At that time, at a members meeting , we were told by Steve Adkins that Ashley and Cornelius would be the new joint Managers. I queried at the time why Paul Dale was not offered the job, and was told that the current squad would not welcome Paul's disciplined style!

After several seasons as joint managers, we still find ourselves at the same level as when Ashley and Cornelius took over, but rather than challenging for promotion, we found ourselves last season fighting off relegation, with no improvement in performances and form when Cornelius left. I fear we will once again be at the wrong end of the table this season, and hence the reason for wanting a change.

There might be an issue with budget, but that hasnt stopped Corinthian Casuals playing beyond our level. They had a great manager, and have now replaced him with another great manager, who can set a team up to play to their potential, and bring in new players that strengthen the team.

As you say, we will probably have to agree to disagree on how we feel the substitutions affected yesterday's result. Personally I feel our best football was played before we conceeded the first goal. I also dont recall their keeper being in too much trouble in the final quarter of the game.

Surely you cant expect every supporter to be happy at where we find ourselves? On a match day I will get behind the team as much as anyone else, but what is wrong with voicing dissaproval after the event? Should we all just sit on our hands and put up with it?

21/8/2022 7:34 pm  #23

Andy P

I completely understand your point, Ashley was a joint manager but this season he is on his own. Maybe things will be different. Time will tell. There has certainly been a positive transition from last season in my opinion.

I cant imagine the budget to be substantial which obviously then impacts on pulling power. Rumours from various sources are suggesting other club's budgets are astronomical. Figures of £500 p/w are alot more commonplace. How can that be sustainable? Such figures will undoubtedly be a contributory factor as to why the like of Bracknell Town were so dominant last season.

I believe a supporter of ours quoted a statistic recently that since 2006, we have only had one season where our home record was better than our away record and that was a title winning season! There must be a great deal of pressure playing at home for players and opposition seem to visit Imperial Fields with renewed vigour because of its setting. That is an added psychological influencer for me but not an excuse.

Hopefully we can add the right personnel if the situation requires it and it fits within the structure.

21/8/2022 10:23 pm  #24

Joseph - I believe that Bracknell are also top of the division that they were promoted to? Unfortunately money is all in football now days from the premier to our level. I think I would feel more comfortable (and perhaps engaged/included?) if I knew what the TMUFC plan is for this season. Obviously not a FA cup run now. To stay in the current division? To aim for the play offs? (Think the former seems more likely than the latter). Certainly surprised how well Westfield have started and how poorly Leatherhead have started appreciating it is early days. If you think someone like Brentford or Southampton has the plan to stay in the Premier League I get it. Restricted budget and arguably the most prestigious league in the world. Tooting has a fantastic stadium (for their level) and a great fan base. Surely the ambition needs to be a little higher than treading water this season?

22/8/2022 7:54 am  #25

This what was once a great club rich in history and for me a privilege to watch in the 70’s in particular deserves and demands so much more. What ever is going on in all aspects it ain’t working , end of !!!

Board footera