“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26/8/2022 5:33 pm  #1

John Langford

We have just heard that ex Tooting manager, John Langford, passed away today.

26/8/2022 7:02 pm  #2

Re: John Langford

Thats sad news endo as well as John being toots manager his brother Bob was manager as well
RIP JOHN 

26/8/2022 9:51 pm  #3

Sad news.

Does anyone have any history on this gentlemen? Playing career/Tooting managerial career at all?

Is this John Langford, once of Nottingham Forest?

27/8/2022 8:29 am  #4

Don't think he was associated with Forest. Going from memory, he was our reserve team boss in the mid 90s. He stepped up into the 1st team about January 1997 when we were really struggling and Trevor Ford got the boot. He couldn't save us from the drop and Jimmy Bolton came in as player manager for the following season. However, John stayed with us as some sort of General Manager. An early forerunner of a Director of Football I suppose.  That didn't really work out either and Bolton only lasted for a season before Keith Boanas came in. I think John also doubled as groundsman over the few years he was with us. But everyone thought he was an absolute gent.

28/8/2022 9:12 am  #5

message from Dave Irons.
Very sad news to hear of Johns passing, He always had time for the fanswether it was about football or not
RIP.JOHN.

28/8/2022 7:09 pm  #6

Our ex forum administrator Gary has requested I post the tribute to  John. Happy memories of what this club was once all about.

I have just heard the sad news of John Langford's passing. John and Bob Langford were very kind to me as a child at Sandy Lane. I remember them letting me on the first team coach to away matches for free and always made me feel very welcome including me in banter.

John Langford was an absolute gentleman who always loved talking football. I was very grateful to him for letting me raise money for Vernon Francis at the London Cup Final. He even gave some money to the cause. Vernon was a Tooting player who done his cruciate ligament playing for Tooting. Tooting fans did a fund raiser organised by myself to pay for his operation for those new supporters. John Langford never forgotten! Thoughts are with his family. Best wishes Gary Walker 

Last edited by Mikem (28/8/2022 7:11 pm)

05/9/2022 1:48 pm  #7

Funeral is 21st September 
Beckenham Crematorium.
Elmers End Rd
13:15
No black ties - Bright Colours requested by family

Board footera