“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01/3/2023 12:45 pm  #1

We go again... and again and........

Sorry to bother you all again.
Just put this up on my Blog :

Well, just as you think things are starting to turn around and just as you think that there is light at the end of the tunnel, reality jumps up and kicks you straight in the nuts. In the world of Footballing quotes and sayings you can honestly say that Tooting and Mitcham have trumped anything “Spursy” that Tottenham Hotspur can do. But “We go again” at the next game (Spoiler Alert, we never do). The “club of progression” is firmly anchored at the foot of the league, seeming happy that the progression is into either the Combined Counties League or some other crappy Kent based division where there will be even less rivalries that in the division we have ended up in now. I’m as “sick as a parrot” which really does not tell the absolute story of how bad I feel watching our club sink faster down the footballing pyramid.

The truth is. It doesn’t matter they we have played well against W&H or Basingstoke this season. We have still lost. When you look at the league table there is not a separate column saying, “Played Well” or another column saying, “we go again”. There is just a glorified spread sheet showing the simple fact is that we seem unable to win games, score goals or fight our way up the table.    

The changes made by bringing Andy Hunt in to work alongside Ashley is beginning to look, as many of us have said, too little and too late. If the club knew that Ashley needed help and support, why wait so long to bring it in. As I have said on Twitter and other Blogs the writing was on the wall after the away fixture at SCR. At the time of writing, we have 10 games to save ourselves. Not impossible but with our form and inability to get any form of run of results going…. Well, it doesn’t bear thinking about.

The club is fond of bringing up it’s links with the various communities in and around South London and Surrey. But there is one community that seems to have been forgotten in all of this.

It’s the community of people that follow the club both home and away. The community that watches games from the stands and terraces at Fortress Imperial. The community that in some cases travels to games from deepest Essex and Hertfordshire to watch Tooting. People within the community that also travel up from Surrey and Sussex for games, as well as those who live nearby. The community that has donated so generously to collections for the ongoing war in the Ukraine, the earthquake in Turkey and Syria and closer to home, local food banks and children’s hospitals., St Georges Hospital, the MS Society, and other local charities. The community have has volunteered to help out at match days. The community that has put their hard earnt money into the club. The community that has helped the social media profile of the club grow over the last few years. The community that helps run web pages, Twitter and Facebook accounts and other online platforms.
A community of people for whom watching Tooting and Mitcham is an important part of their social life. A chance to meet up and chat to friends. A place to have a drink and watch football. A chance to support local issues. A community of people from across Europe who have come together at games to support The Terrors and developed friendships with others whom without this (our) club may not have ever met. For a few, being a part of this community is the only social life they have.

To the hierarchy at Tooting and Mitcham. Don’t ignore these people or disregard their views, Don’t just treat them as an endless supply of cash. Don’t just class them as an endless supply of unpaid volunteers. Don’t treat them as idiots who don’t deserve to be told what is happening behind the scenes…..  because if we do get relegated. You are going to need these people, this community more than you’ve ever needed them before.

Come On You Terrors !!!!!!

01/3/2023 1:12 pm  #2

Re: We go again... and again and........

Succinctly put as usual Steve.  Though I think that you are hanging your head up against a brick wall regarding those in overall charge giving a toss about the fans who still attend games, and those such as me who do not want anything to do with them.

Until they commit to doing the right thing with the First Team there is not a chance of us returning.

01/3/2023 1:47 pm  #3

Well put Hackbridge Harry. The demise of this historically great club is so well documented now but we seem to live in a world of incompetence, not doing the obvious when needed and a disregard to the people that it really matters to. The powers at be have made their bed and will have to sleep in it unless ?????

01/3/2023 1:56 pm  #4

Firstly Harry great post but like Ev i too think that the powers that be do not give a toss.
Why did it take so long to do anything about the situation ?
Why is Ashley Bosah still in a job.
These people really do not give a monkeys about the supporters or do they think we are Tooting & Mitcham and we are too good to go down.
Well wake up and smell the coffee because barring a sudden change of fortune we are destined to be playing in a league which is even worse than the one we are in now.
From the owner down all these people have really let the supporters of this club down badly and should all hang their heads in shame.SHAME ON ALL OF YOU

01/3/2023 6:44 pm  #5

Hackbridge Harry wrote:

Sorry to bother you all again.

No bother at all Harry, a great post and appreciate you sharing with us.  You sum it all up a lot better than I could.  February was a really important month and while there’s been some great efforts there isn’t a special place for that on the table like you say. 

Thanks again for sending along and it’s really sad to see the effects the club is having on so many decent people (which we’ve known for ages but hey ho).

Last edited by BernieTheBolt (01/3/2023 6:50 pm)

These Fokkers were Messerschmitts

02/3/2023 1:03 pm  #6

Hackbridge (Steve) Harry

I was going to respond to your earlier posting which had a real go at fans you consider the “Tin Hat Brigade.”

Whilst I agree with all the comments made about your posting, I to appreciate the efforts of yourself and of all those volunteers who somehow make the team survive in exceptional circumstances!

If you recall Stan and me met with you at the Kings arms, Waterloo, when you were about to give more support and voluntary work for the Football team, and about your anxieties about the members club which you eventually left to throw everything into the supporters’ club. The situation with the Members club (Woolley) and the Owner (Property Developer), were explained fully to you, and the direction of travel the team had taken and was heading, plus the shenanigans which lead to this farce.

As is your prerogative, you chose to ignore our conversation, thinking were just two fans trying to stir up trouble. You have since become a key member of the supporters’ club, and you are now realising the true state the Football team is enduring, and the awful structure that operates at Imperial Fields, despite all those efforts of those volunteers. Those Tin Hat rebels have decades of loyalty to the team and the only way they can get across their frustrations is postings on here. When some forum posters come on here spouting the indefensible about the owner, it’s like a “red rag to a bull!”

As you point out, many fans have left in their droves, and never to return, the gate against Walton was 133, I used to watch the “A” team (3rd team) play to higher gates!  Recently a gate below 100 was recorded, what a situation. All non-league clubs are now community based and provide a great service to the local community and survive on what they provide locally. The exception is they are run as a Football Club serving the community, not a community Centre development project with an add on of a football Team.

The freehold legacy has been completely wasted and lacked any protection for the Football team. This after after warnings given to the naïve old committee what mistakes they had made, and sanctioned all of this! The  results are now obvious even to  those current devotees.

I must award you a honorary “Tin Hat” for your last 2 postings, and your efforts to raise the fans feelings at a higher level which as always will be totally ignored.  

Since the takeover, I have always enjoyed going to away games to observe  how proper football clubs are run, not the complete mess and hypocrisy that exists at Imperial Fields. Unless major changes are in the offering, thing will not change or perhaps they have, with the TMSL Ltd becoming a non-profit making entity in 2017/20i8 with the implications which have to fully have to understood!!!!

I must end with your favourite saying: -
Since 2005 and before, the team which was totally built to  fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02/3/2023 2:23 pm  #7

Another agreeable post Mikem. It feels as if all but a miracle,and  they don’t happen often in world history let alone this level of football is going to save or change this clubs fortunes at this present time. I fear my last posting at the end of this season will be “Over and Out” which really saddens me,  but sometimes enough is enough ! I still live in hope.

02/3/2023 5:34 pm  #8

All part of the plan Steptoe just ask acting chairman Tony Cox !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02/3/2023 5:51 pm  #9

Hello Mikem,
The only thing which I'd like too say is that I didn't ignore what you said. It was always in the back of my mind in all of my dealings with various people. I fully understood where you and Stan came from and what you told me. 
It was just that I didn't think anything could change what had happened in the past before I started going to games and getting involved and that at the time maybe people at the club would listen to the various other fans also trying to change the mind set of the people in charge. The damage had already been done long before I turned up.
In all honesty the last relegation under Frank Wilson lead too many of us getting more involved in an effort to help out, thinking the club couldn't get any lower.....
Well as we well know now........... We could.

Personal attacks are not really my style. My time involved with various Trade Union discussions made me realise that being civil is far better than getting heated up, no matter how hard that can be. I have always tried my hardest to keep everyone onside and not publicly tie my flag to one view or another, or ally myself too much with views expressed in the stands, terraces or various social media platforms. Ask Dave Irons, we often disagree about things but we still talk and joke about and I class him as one of my best friends at Tooting. A great bloke.
That way I can speak to everyone involved and I can be better heard without pi**ing people off unless I really have to, and believe me I do speak my mind and I'm not shy when it comes to talking to some of the obvious people at the club. One or two who quite happily ignore me at games and avoid me.

There will be a time very soon when some home truths will come out and I promise I will speak up.

Cheers mate....

Mikem wrote:

Hackbridge (Steve) Harry

I was going to respond to your earlier posting which had a real go at fans you consider the “Tin Hat Brigade.”

Whilst I agree with all the comments made about your posting, I to appreciate the efforts of yourself and of all those volunteers who somehow make the team survive in exceptional circumstances!

If you recall Stan and me met with you at the Kings arms, Waterloo, when you were about to give more support and voluntary work for the Football team, and about your anxieties about the members club which you eventually left to throw everything into the supporters’ club. The situation with the Members club (Woolley) and the Owner (Property Developer), were explained fully to you, and the direction of travel the team had taken and was heading, plus the shenanigans which lead to this farce.

As is your prerogative, you chose to ignore our conversation, thinking were just two fans trying to stir up trouble. You have since become a key member of the supporters’ club, and you are now realising the true state the Football team is enduring, and the awful structure that operates at Imperial Fields, despite all those efforts of those volunteers. Those Tin Hat rebels have decades of loyalty to the team and the only way they can get across their frustrations is postings on here. When some forum posters come on here spouting the indefensible about the owner, it’s like a “red rag to a bull!”

As you point out, many fans have left in their droves, and never to return, the gate against Walton was 133, I used to watch the “A” team (3rd team) play to higher gates!  Recently a gate below 100 was recorded, what a situation. All non-league clubs are now community based and provide a great service to the local community and survive on what they provide locally. The exception is they are run as a Football Club serving the community, not a community Centre development project with an add on of a football Team.

The freehold legacy has been completely wasted and lacked any protection for the Football team. This after after warnings given to the naïve old committee what mistakes they had made, and sanctioned all of this! The  results are now obvious even to  those current devotees.

I must award you a honorary “Tin Hat” for your last 2 postings, and your efforts to raise the fans feelings at a higher level which as always will be totally ignored.  

Since the takeover, I have always enjoyed going to away games to observe  how proper football clubs are run, not the complete mess and hypocrisy that exists at Imperial Fields. Unless major changes are in the offering, thing will not change or perhaps they have, with the TMSL Ltd becoming a non-profit making entity in 2017/20i8 with the implications which have to fully have to understood!!!!

I must end with your favourite saying: -
Since 2005 and before, the team which was totally built to  fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02/3/2023 8:36 pm  #10

Harry understand where you are coming from and fully sympathise with you and your fellow volunteers who have given so much. Owners, players, officials, management and coaches all change over the years, fans are dedicated to follow their club for life. Unfortunately so many long term fans and some great volunteers in the past have given up, it's now a very sad situation.

03/3/2023 12:29 am  #11

Mikem wrote:

Harry understand where you are coming from and fully sympathise with you and your fellow volunteers who have given so much. Owners, players, officials, management and coaches all change over the years, fans are dedicated to follow their club for life. Unfortunately so many long term fans and some great volunteers in the past have given up, it's now a very sad situation.

It’s beyond sad Mike, it’s soul destroying.  Like I’ve said before on here I’ve probably come across as someone revelling in the fortunes of the team just to say ‘told you so’ proving the point that everything at T&M is very wrong.  A lot of that was (I guess) nervous energy and even then I didn’t 100% believe that we could get relegated, but now we’ve had the big month of February, with seven games in the shortest month of the year, and two six-pointers that weren’t taken advantage of (Merstham and Bedfont) and still stuck to the bottom of the league, reality sets in.  I could never accept it until very recently, but what we’ve seen just makes me look at it and experience this sort of empty, stone-faced, numb, hopeless feeling. I don’t even know how I’ve got the energy to compose this really, I just feel like I’m aimlessly listing along.

Though the venues and areas covered by the CCL is quite similar to the current league, there just seems to be pockets of awkwardness everywhere.  Places like Banstead Athletic, not very near to railway stations and London-based bus routes, same goes for Redhill and Horley, very awkward to get to without using lifts or taxis, then you look at places like Knaphill and Sheerwater, in the outskirts of Woking with minimal transport provision.  What use would all this be for a midweek 19:45 game?  From my experience the preferred method of many non-leaguers is to use public transport as it seems a traditional method and allows for refreshments in the bar.  Apparently not all of these clubs run a bar because so few people turn up.  Looking at Balham with its average gate of 27, allowing for away support, some of these clubs have pretty much no fans.  Wealdstone Raider going on about ‘you’ve got no fans’ in the video at Whitehawk might be on to something with these step 5 teams. 

Steve (Harry), I’ve seen Anthony’s Twitter where he states he won’t watch a CCL game at Tooting and reckons this might be the end of the club.  I’ve got to agree with him and I’m so gutted to see this.  I remember well you and Anthony when he was younger and if there’s a figure you need as an example of why this club needs to do right by the fans it’s him.  He epitomises everything about a local club, how people get together, how it can be exciting and interesting.  You’ve both given so much.  It upsets me so much to see the club behave like this and the frustrations can be seen by many.  I know I’m a back seat driver having not been to a game for so long but like I’ve said before on here I can’t bring myself to go into a situation which will just cause upset. 

You are right, there is going to be a time for home truths - the end of season in the Hub.  It wouldn’t surprise me if it isn’t even hosted this year.  It’ll be a bear pit - if any of the fans turn up. 

All I can see when I think of Ashley is Roberto Forzoni that day at Hythe Town - what happened to him was brutal and shows the lack of consistency this club has exercised for many years.  I can’t accept the manager and club management knowing what’s happened before, there is absolutely no accountability from any side here and it’s disgusting the club rides roughshod over so many people, with no consideration for the views of those in many places and a disregard for actually what’s right.  This really is the pits.

I’m so glad we have a forum with people like Mike and Stan, as well as others as Steptoe, Daniel Collins and Edge (as well as many others) to prove this all isn’t some sort of f’d up nightmare

Last edited by BernieTheBolt (03/3/2023 12:31 am)

These Fokkers were Messerschmitts

03/3/2023 12:14 pm  #12

It is so soul destroying seeing your team deteriorate to now the laughing stock of the league. Remembering the good old days when Billy Smith was manager ( I only go back to the mid 2000s) and things looking promising to now this. It wasn't that long ago Tooting were playing and matching Sutton, Carshalton, Kingstonians and of course the arch enemy of Dulwich. The hierarchy seem to be to Tooting, what a burst water pipe is to the water board. Having not been to a game for a couple of years now, I don't think I'll be returning any time soon. 

Board footera