“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16/12/2023 11:27 pm  #1

Tooting 1 Horley 2

I couldn't make the game again. I was having a bad day with my leg injury.
Thanks to whoever does the Twitter/X feed. I was watching that with great hope when we equalised.
Was we unlucky today or didn't we deserve anything from the game?
I am hoping to make the game on the 23rd on crutches if all goes well.
Thanks in advance for answering my post.

17/12/2023 10:33 am  #2

Re: Tooting 1 Horley 2

Sadly there is little to cheer about at the moment. There are some great individual cameos but little in the way of cohesion or ability to remain focussed over the whole game (hence the horrendous repeated breakdown of discipline).

Horley were once again organised and did not give the ball away easily, so didn't need to do anything special against us. Their first goal was a bit fortunate, but, on balance, they probably deserved it for their first half performance.

I still can't understand Callums behaviour for the sending off, I'd seen him as level headed and determined, not as an impetuous idiot. Perhaps he just wants to put his feet up over Christmas!

A fighting equaliser in injury time followed by a low long range free kick that evaded everyone (perhaps it wouldn't have done if we'd had that missing defender) says everything about how our luck is running.

I would just like to see us stop giving the ball away so easily so that we can build the platforms to unleash our three strikers. You can't generate pressure without the ball.

Perhaps it's just a confidence thing, we've got good players and they all seem keen enough. Let's hope a win next week will turn it around.

17/12/2023 11:21 am  #3

Having now read Eds most excellent précis of the game I see why Callum was so aggrieved, but we are agreed on how we expected him to handle it.

Last edited by TheTerror (17/12/2023 5:03 pm)

18/12/2023 12:56 pm  #4

According to my 2 neutral pals we had slightly the better of the play.  And thinking back, I don't think Horley had a shot.  But then we didn't test their keeper either.

Another aspect I noticed was that we only had 3 players who played in the return fixture at Horley.  I think Horley had 7.  And of course, Horley have been together for a number of years.

So unfortunately, we are still an unsettled side, and despite maybe having more talented players, didn't really have any cutting edge on Saturday.

Board footera