“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23/12/2023 6:59 pm  #1

The Emperor has got no clothes on

Well, who's going to be the brave soul to provide a list of positives from today?

No leadership. No height. No organisation. Passion from probably four players.

Only scored from a very soft penalty. Created little to nothing playing bottom of the league.

I may have misheard but I thought the crowd was announced as 225? Did 100 people spend the whole game in the toilet? Lucky them if they did...

No wins since the end of October and today was just embarrassing.

Yes, the manager may not be paid. Yes, we may have trouble recruiting players. Yes, the playing budget may be low.

But surely now even the most blind optimists must realise "The Emperor has got no clothes on"?

26/12/2023 4:39 pm  #2

Re: The Emperor has got no clothes on

I would, amongst many others, be very disappointed if Jamie could not make a success of this. It would be sad to see his legacy as a playing legend at the club spoiled by a perceived failure as manager.  At the moment I have not heard anybody question his position, all criticism has rightly been aimed at the owner.

I believe Jamie will turn this round, we're on a terrible run of form at the moment but we've recently been losing by the odd goal, once we get players back we should start to turn those losses into draws and wins.

Are we really struggling to attract players? Why would that be? I could see that being the case during the last management disaster but not now, surely the word has got round now that it is all changed?
I don't know if our playing budget is considered low for this league, but it must be at least as good as many other clubs in this division. Decent players have avoided this club like the plague for the last 5 years and who can blame them. Maybe it takes more than a change of manager to turn that around. Yes, money makes things easier, but its no guarantee, countless clubs have found that out over the years. Adkins is not going to open the purse strings so we are going to have to compete the hard way against the other teams in this division. If Jamie can transfer his talent as a player, his determination to win, his enthusiasm and work ethic over to management, then I'm confident we'll see results turn our way.

26/12/2023 6:54 pm  #3

Andy Mc wrote:

I would, amongst many others, be very disappointed if Jamie could not make a success of this. It would be sad to see his legacy as a playing legend at the club spoiled by a perceived failure as manager.  At the moment I have not heard anybody question his position, all criticism has rightly been aimed at the owner.

I believe Jamie will turn this round, we're on a terrible run of form at the moment but we've recently been losing by the odd goal, once we get players back we should start to turn those losses into draws and wins.

Are we really struggling to attract players? Why would that be? I could see that being the case during the last management disaster but not now, surely the word has got round now that it is all changed?
I don't know if our playing budget is considered low for this league, but it must be at least as good as many other clubs in this division. Decent players have avoided this club like the plague for the last 5 years and who can blame them. Maybe it takes more than a change of manager to turn that around. Yes, money makes things easier, but its no guarantee, countless clubs have found that out over the years. Adkins is not going to open the purse strings so we are going to have to compete the hard way against the other teams in this division. If Jamie can transfer his talent as a player, his determination to win, his enthusiasm and work ethic over to management, then I'm confident we'll see results turn our way.

Well said...

Jamie's hard work behind the scenes is 2nd to none, and I think we as fans all have to be patient and realistic... Yes, results lately haven't been good enough but I think realistic people among us will agree that we need to stick with it

Up the Toots

26/12/2023 8:10 pm  #4

Jamie certainly has/had the credentials as a non-league player. But as a manager? I really think that is a wait and see. The anti-Adkins et al sentiment seems to have stopped or at least has gone underground. One of the happy miracles of Tooting is that however badly the team is performing they are never (well, apart from at SCR) given stick by the fans.

I (along with others) was at Raynes Park Vale today. Awful ground. Dead atmosphere. But a consistent set of players with huge self belief who are realistically looking at back to back promotion (although they didn't look like it today..).

We are lacking height as a team. We are lacking flair. We are lacking organisation on the pitch.

Maybe we are a lucky 90th minute winner off another purple patch. Let's hope so.

However, surely everyone can see the "champagne football" , switching from side to side and scoring for fun in great to watch matches early season has disappeared.

What has actually changed to cause such a dip?

Last edited by Andy P (26/12/2023 8:10 pm)

30/12/2023 9:25 am  #5

As far as I can tell we have only recruited Andy O’Brien from a division above us. We did well to retain Jayden Hutchings, but aside from that it seems our squad is broadly made up of Step 5 players known to Byatt before he was installed at Tooting. I would say the club is the club and beyond the great ground we have and the vocal support, I’m really not sure how it might attract any player with ambition, especially given our two months of games without a competitive victory. The direction of travel is not particularly alluring, no doubt, to lads with a will to win. As such, Byatt will seemingly have to find ways on the training ground to turn our form around.

I think “scoring for fun” rather overstates our early season form, but Kieran Campbell’s departure hasn’t helped us up top. Blake Loyza’s a good addition and Nathan Best was beginning to come into some form, but when Byatt has to start himself it seems to me there’s space for another goalscorer in the squad.

The pressure on Brennan to get our goals is pronounced. He needs adequate service. We also need to stop shipping late goals. Constantly our undoing.

I didn’t know Byatt as a player as I came to Tooting after, but I would say he’s clearly early on in his managerial career. He is enjoying a level of grace from the support in the face of a patch of pretty awful results from performances that deserved the outcome. The Hilltop game in the cup recently was the worst I’ve ever seen. There were subsequent improvements in performance undone by losses of heads, manifesting in red cards and conceded goals.

Today’s a hugely important game against one of the dwindling number of teams below us in the league. Worth pointing out they were a few more places below us when they smashed us 0-3 at IF. I hope today is the start of a turnaround, but I’m genuinely losing a bit of hope.

30/12/2023 8:58 pm  #6

Vast improvement today ?

Only lost by two goals this time ! !

Board footera