“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08/11/2014 6:35 pm  #1

East Grinstead Game

Disappointing performance today especially after theway the team played on Tuesday. They didn't seem to be interested and to be honest neither team looked as though they were going to score. However East Grinstead did!
I noticed Craig's annoyance at the chap in the stand that wanted Billy taken off. Rise above it, Craig. He has paid good money to watch and is entitled to his opinion. I didn't agree with him but unfortunately when things are going badly you are always going to get some criticism. So let him be and anyone else, you are doing a good job and here's to beating Hythe on Tuesday.

08/11/2014 6:46 pm  #2

Re: East Grinstead Game

I thought their back four / five  were one of the best organised I have seen all season, hardly put a foot wrong all game, dealing with everything we could throw at them, especially the tall no.4 and no.6., if they never got a hrad on the ball it would be an outstretched foot or leg, and with a bit more better finishing quality up front, the score could have been worse. We did not ask enough questions of them today, with our passing being sometimes erratic, and what I found especially frustrating the amount of times Jelly was free and waiting for the ball down the right, with acres of space that would have allowed him to get behind their defence, and was he seen,no, it must have been extremely frustrating for him, but he never stopped making the runs, credit to him. Overall this was a banana skin that we all feared could turn up, and it did, but these things happen in football, so best forgotten, and concentrating on the next home game against Hythe.

08/11/2014 8:53 pm  #3

There's no disguising that it was poor all round . But I would be disappointed if I heard my fellow supporters vocalising those sort of complaints out loud. Have people forgotten how well those same players have been playing in recent weeks?

I had a few moan ups today, but there's no way I'm going to give this group any verbals at the moment.

But here on the message board I am going to question the manager a bit.  We weren't getting any joy against their defence,  and I thought Craig should have changed things earler. I thought he lacked a bit of imagination today. Admittedly,  it's the players who are on the pitch, but I think Craig might look back on this one and wished he'd done things differently

08/11/2014 10:01 pm  #4

If what you say is correct Gary, then on behalf of all true supporters at this club, I would like to apologise to the team and the management, for any uncalled for remarks aimed either at the team or individuals, we all have bad days, this was one, which collectively we are all responsible for, insults are not helpfull at all, discuss negative feelings amongst ourselves certainly that is our right, but not so players or management can hear, and personal insults are about as low as you can go, if a supporter has a beef with a player in particulkar, say it to his face after the game,  as you so rightly say Gary, it would hardly encourage you to burst a blood vessel for the team. Lets hope we can put it right Tuesday.

09/11/2014 9:14 am  #5

I can not say how much I am disgusted by what you say Gary, the club does not need supporters who act in that manner, as you say we should all stick together, through thick and thin, not aim personal, abuse at people, how low can some people stoop.

09/11/2014 11:51 am  #6

Gary

Where I was in the stand there were a few grumbles..nothing more

What I would say to those who seemingly cannot manage their own expectations would be you obviously where not a supporter in the 80's. We were on a downward spiral from was to be oyr halycon days of the 70's and those that stuck with the club watch some terrible football for over a decade until Mickey Stephens, John Collins et al bought success back to the then Sandy Lane in 93.

We cannot expect sides struggling to come to IF and let us play..it is not realistic and picking up on what endo said a change of tactics could have helped

Having said that had the two chances we had late in the 1st half gone in everything would have been rosy

10/11/2014 1:40 pm  #7

gary walker wrote:

I spoke to Craig tonight.
I don't think I am betraying any trust when I say he is really disappointed with some of the abuse that he had to suffer today.
I spoke to another player tonight that said to me we need to stick together be a football family . Players ,management, Supporters all as one. Win or lose together. This will set us apart from any other club.
Another thing to mention we had the TM kickers as Mascots before the game and they stayed and watched with their parents.
Lets get behind the boys on Tuesday!

I'm sorry but does Craig (who I think on the whole is doing a great job), really think the team can play as badly as they did on Saturday and not get any stick from the supporters??? The lack of a plan B when things are working is a concern as is the continued use of short corners and free kicks are major causes of frustration as they simply don't work. How did East Grinstead score on Saturday?

I am unable to make many mid week games so the last two games I have attended were Aylesbury and East Grinstead, both very poor performances against very average opposition. I can take losing, God knows I've been around Tooting long enough to know what that's like! but I can't take losing with out a fight, which apart from one or two players has been the case.

Yes the team need to supporters to get behind them, and on the whole even those of us in the stand do (apart from one person who I will not name), but remember these things work both ways.

Last edited by DaveM (10/11/2014 1:41 pm)

10/11/2014 3:21 pm  #8

I wasn't at the game so I can't comment solely on it. I have had a few indifferent reports on the game by 5-6 different people but this is the nature of this league.
Teams will have there own style of play and tactics to boot, one thing we must realise is craig is still learning and is a young manager, no manager is great without tasting defeat and even Jose at  Chelsea surcomed to big Sam allardyce 'park the bus' tatics
Craig will learn from this and will probably work on this in training and become more aware of teams playing this tactic

I was lost but now im found

10/11/2014 3:47 pm  #9

This game has to go down as the worst performance this season (orthough Redhill was pretty bad). The team didn't seem like the same team that I watched play against Chipstead just four days earlier. They weren't flowing the same way, didn't look anywhere as dangerous, the main man was not as threatening and it lacked something overall. Yes credit should go to East Grinstead for doing a job and they will probably consider this a huge three points, orthough I was not a fan of there number three the ****.
With this season being so much better than the last three and having witness more wins in this season so far compared to the last three it is great really frustrating that we are losing to lower opposition, yet teams around us we have beaten or drawn. Let's hope that changes tuesday against Hythe Town.
Is it a case that we under estimate the lesser teams or maybe we struggle to break down those happy to sit back, park the bus and defend for a point with anything else being a bonus.
It is frustrating, but that is no excuse to abuse any player in the way it has been highlighted above. Saturday I walked out before the final whistle (I think I have done this only twice before). Yes I was disappointed, the little upset and annoyed that we had given away a golden chance of getting into the play offs with our game in hand intact. But I had no intention or thought of abusing or swearing at any of our players, that is totally unacceptable and whoever that person was should be ashamed of themselves.
But on a bright note other teams at the top dropped points also, Faversham were destroyed.
We are only one point away from 5th and still process a better goal difference and a game in hand so come on everyone, chin up and keep the faith in our fine manager.

Last edited by Routemaster (10/11/2014 4:31 pm)

10/11/2014 4:50 pm  #10

My take on the game against East Grinstead is I believe the players looked at the programme before the game & they see that that are near the bottom, so they go out thinking they got the game wrapped up before they even kick off. Its not the first time we have lost games against inferior opposition. We need tohave a plan b and even a plan c to combat these sort of games, and give these teams a hiding.

Board footera