“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07/4/2015 4:37 pm  #1

Whats gone wrong?

I stopped myself from posting last night in case I said something I shouldn't have done.
I left to go to my car at half time convinced that we wouldn't score, and thought about going home. But I have never done that and hoped, without any belief, that the 2nd half would improve. No it got worse and we even had an arguement between 2 of our players which so nearly resulted in Lewis being taken off. How many players were interested, 4 or at the most 5. The team spirit seems to have gone. Craig and Adam seem to have a good old chat but that doesn't seem to get any results, just dodgy subs made. The goalkeeper was I thought very nervous and if only some played a bit more like Sol, who cannot be criticized,  we might just make a game of it. Surely us supporters deserve better.
I am not losing faith with Craig yet, and I don't believe all this nonsense that we have nothing to play for. We had our 2nd biggest crowd today, not good I know, 265, surely that deserved a better performance. For weeks now we have seen below average games. They have only 4 games to play then a break, you would think they want to show what they can do.  When you think how they can play, the game v Bishops Stortford for instance. If they cannot be bothered the why should we? 

07/4/2015 8:41 pm  #2

Re: Whats gone wrong?

It's nearing the end of a very long season... you have young players that some have not experienced a season this long...they could be slowly burning out...it's all part of the learning curve for players...and for the managers...

Mentally as well as physically...

Last edited by The Administrator (07/4/2015 8:42 pm)

07/4/2015 8:50 pm  #3

The Administrator wrote:

It's nearing the end of a very long season... you have young players that some have not experienced a season this long...they could be slowly burning out...it's all part of the learning curve for players...and for the managers...

Mentally as well as physically...

...and for the supporters too.

08/4/2015 8:01 am  #4

"young players that some have not experienced a season this long...they could be slowly burning out"

Knock, Gonsalves, Newton, Marshall, Graves, Cox, Pinnock all played Saturday and are all experianced. Many of the team are just going through the paces to pick up a pay cheque. They don't care about the club or the supporters who watch this rubbish week in week out.

08/4/2015 8:10 am  #5

I went to Faversham on Saturday and thought the team were unlucky to lose and was surprised at the poor showing on Monday. It's a pity that a team that's always being touted as playing a passing game don't seem to be able to pass to one of their team mates! Team selection always been a bit of a grey area - never sure if players not selected are carrying injuries or out of favour?

08/4/2015 8:47 am  #6

Its a tough one for the manager.  As for the last 2 or 3 games, as much as the players might want to be up for it, we have nothing to play for and the opposition does.  Even Burgess Hill lost at home once the season's work was over.

But looking back over the last half of the season, it has been poor. I am an expert armchair strategist, , but I have run out of ideas for this group of players.  For some reason they just haven't been winning games, and I can't put my finger on it.  We have a lot of very good players.  Even bringing in Graves and Gonsalves, two of the best, most experienced defenders at this level and higher - and we still concede soft goals.  By most people's reckoning, Bash has played well all season but we have not bossed the midfield at all.  We have a 30 goal striker, and yet we don't tend to pose much of a threat up front.  We have some other top proven performers at this level and higher in Newton, Marshall and Pinnock and yet none of them have shone consistently.  If I was going to bring in two new players to improve the team I wouldn't know which two players I would replace.

Goalkeeper has been a problem position for Craig over the last 2 seasons, with Smith's injuries, and I'm not yet convinced that Kozakis is ideal for a promotion challenge next year, so maybe I would look for an experienced keeper.  And maybe another central midfielder.  Quarm had a good start to the season, but like a lot of them, tailed off badly.  But we did bring in Newton and Cox and also brought Khan through, but as I say, we have never dominated that area.

In hindsight I would not have released Clarke or Cheadle, but at the time I thought that their replacements would do a better job.  I think its going to be a tricky summer for the manager as he tries to balance maintaining a certain amount of continuity but still trying to bring in a couple of key players that can turn us from a reasonable footballing side (at times) into one that can win matches.

08/4/2015 10:50 am  #7

I know that he is your love-child Gary but he really is not good enough to add to the side.  Apart from free kicks he was pretty one dimensional and had a very nasty habit of giving the ball away too easily.  As you know, Stephan Cox, before he was sent off, was doing him every which way and making him look like a Combined County's player.  I would rather see Colin back if we are going to go searching in the past.  Colin is vastly experienced, has a good head and knows how to intimidate the opposition: a good Ryman defender in other words.  Tiny Tears Cheadle is not.

08/4/2015 1:36 pm  #8

I did not want to answer an essay with an essay Gary.  But to add to to what I wrote above I think that Sam Charles is a good right back and if he stays with us should feel safe in that position.

Board footera