“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13/10/2015 8:48 pm  #1

HYTHE 2 TOOTING 1

Gutted!, and guess who scored the winner for Hythe, you guessed it Frankie Sawyer, Knocky scored ours to draw us level, but a fourth win on the spin was not to be.
What better way to get back on track, than to beat Hastings on Saturday, come on lads you can do it!
Unfortunately I could not make it tonight, but in a way I am glad I could not, as it would have been a miserable journey back.

14/10/2015 8:29 am  #2

Re: HYTHE 2 TOOTING 1

Not a miserable journey back from Hythe-for the first time this season I was very pleased with what I saw from Tooting.After a somewhat wasted first half in which we let them dominate but defended very well,only an unfortunate mistake by Simeone gifted Sawyer his first goal.
The 2nd half was a revelation-we played superb football nearly all on the floor & outplayed Hythe to such an extent that they could hardly leave their half.We attacked them continuously & aggressively,scored a tremendous equaliser and it honestly seemed only a matter of time before we took all the points.
Make no mistake,Hythe have been drilled into a well organised team but our level of skill was so much higher as their supporters testified.Once again, sadly,we were caught out by a ball over the top as we were, perhaps,a little too eager to get forward down the left and Sawyer was left clear to score a simple goal.
Every player contributed so well and I was heartened particularly by the performance of Sol Pinnock who showed just what he is capable of.Incidentally,the new coach seemed very animated & aware of what was going on.Well done-if we keep going in this vein,we are definately on the right track.
Finally,please do not continue to waste Leon's talent sitting on the bench.

14/10/2015 11:10 am  #3

Very promising and encorouging posting Mike. I can understand more now why Craig chose Frank as the reserve team manager, appear`s to have the same philosophy, long may it continue.
Like you Gary "Serge" is a very frustrating player, must be difficult to play with as you can not tell what he is going to do next, I just wish he would look up more to see his options.
We all know what Sol can deliver, but so far this season it has been few and far between, let us hope he has now turned the corner.

14/10/2015 11:23 am  #4

Serge was ok.  He is at his best taking on players in and around the box which he did alright last night, so playing further forward should suit him.

But as for the overall pattern of play we look like we've had a dramatic change of policy.  Unfortunately its going to take time for the players to get used to their new roles and to get that understanding going.  Its obviously something that should be getting sorted out in pre season!

But without raking over old ground, that is what you get with a new manager, even an experienced man.  You have to get the right players and the right tactical approach.  And unfortunately for us we're still a work in progress even though over a quarter of the season is gone.

14/10/2015 12:37 pm  #5

Fully agree with everything that Mike has written.
Don't be discouraged by this defeat. And don't be dragged down by the negativeity of those that don't actually attend T&M matches (for whatever ready) but then spout on players poor performances.
We fully deserved at least a draw.

The most consistent Simmo just made an unfortunate error of judgement.
And, as we know, you can't do that with Frankie around.

We have watched Simmo and Daryl work well together in maintaining a consistent line. And it was the same last night. Then they got it wrong just once - same result for the 2nd goal.

That Knocky was the one who scored our goal from open play shows you how far we were pushing the full backs forward. And throughout the 2nd half the full backs were combining with the midfielders and forwards in weaving intricate patterns right up in the final third.
Hythe committed numerous petty fouls in an effort to stop this but because all were relatively minor I think they escaped any punishment.  Too weak ref.
Sol had a free kick that just skimmed the bar.

Nothing wrong with the performance of Serge either.
Now turning players and taking them on which is adding greatly to his game.
I think we need players who can do the unexpected Alan. That creativity is what we have been lacking.
Elliott continues to progress and must continue to assume even greater responsibility.

We might all select a different starting 11 but don't forget that we were missing Sol B-P, Robbo and Jake  last night with Jamie just allowed a gentle run out near the end.

Onward and upward with this ever changing adventure.

Last edited by Bondy (14/10/2015 12:39 pm)

14/10/2015 1:24 pm  #6

Could not agree more about "players who can do the unexpected" Bondy, but they should also be aware of the other players around them.
Like you I am certainly more optimistic after the last couple of performances, and judging by the reports of last night we are progressing, but we do need to get more players in the box, and quickly, if I have a critisism, that is it, but hopefully it will improve.

Board footera