“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07/9/2013 7:25 pm  #1

Tonked 5-1 today

Shame really, because it was a very tight 1st half, and it was only an injury time equaliser which prevented us going in ahead at the break.  The second half was also quite tight, and Leatherhead's second came from an unlucky bounce off of one of our defenders.  Craig then made a couple of changes and our gameplan went to pot.  We went from quite a packed midfield to an empty midfield and never really got a foothold in the game after that.  And from playing sensible football, we started to try Hollywoods and we gave trhe ball away time and time again.  Unfortunately Josh Turner went off injured and it went from bad to worse for us as our defence joined the midfield in profligate play.  I think a lot of us behind the goal were wishing for the whistle with 10 mins to go as only 1 team looked like scoring.

So in summary, we can be quite pleased with our 1st half performance, but I think the players and management will be wishing that they had done things a lot differently in the 2nd half.

07/9/2013 7:37 pm  #2

Re: Tonked 5-1 today

I was not at the match but I have noticed at the matches that I have attended that second half substitutions we make normally results in us losing control of the game.  If someone is injured then sub him, but if it ain't broke leave it alone.

07/9/2013 8:35 pm  #3

I personally felt that from the start of the second half, not only did we lose our shape but the competetiveness and passing we showed in the first half had completely gone and it would only be a matter of time before we fell behind. Unfortunately I did not forsee the complete rout that was to follow, the two people who for me came out of it with any credit, were, Paul Smith, our keeper, and when he came on, Jordan Cheadle, why he keeps on starting on the bench defies logic for me and I think the sooner he starts a game the better our defence will be. The sooner this game, from the second half on, is forgotten the better. Tuesday can not come soon enough, where we can hopefully put this game behind us.

Last edited by alanj (07/9/2013 8:36 pm)

07/9/2013 11:02 pm  #4

Their management were most unhappy about the uncontested header that was our 1st goal.
And we should have been equally unhappy about the uncontested header for their equaliser at the very worst time, just before the half time break.
We had even dragged Pinnock back for the free kick. But nobody got anywhere near a challenge.

1st half was very even and, despite not very many attacking options up front with Sol toiling alone, we had plenty of the play and were stopping Head getting in to their stride.
Turner and Dalhouse were pretty solid but we certainly missed Colin Hartburn.
Encouraging midfield play by Simpson and much hard work by Quarm.

That all changed in the 2nd half when they came alive because we lost all shape due to (enforced) subs and giving the ball away too much.
Josh Turner was forced off with injury (why do subs not automatically get prepared to come on after the half time break?  Especially when they, like us, can see teammates struggling.  Odd)
Not sure how much game time new signing Wedegwood has had recently.  Think perhaps he ran out of energy and was subbed.
Then we had players playing out of position and things opened up like the Red Sea.

The final score was a shame but did reflect some nice finishes by Head who looked a different side in the 2nd half.
I would also like to praise Paul Smith without whom the score would have been much worse.

Lets hope the injuries are not too bad and Colin & perhaps even Frankie return for Tuesday night.
Crawley D won 3-2 today and now sit in 2nd spot behind.......Leatherhead!

Board footera