“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/11/2015 9:09 am  #1

Tooting 0 Bridges 2

I didn't think it was as bad as some people are saying.  On the positive side, we were on the attack for most of the game, we got the ball and bodies into their box time after time.  We showed variety in attack - long ball, tikka takka and crosses from wide.  And even in defence we restricted them to just 2 shots on target!

So how did we lose?  Well, obviously the 2 goals! Their first was a decent goal, and their 2nd had an element of fortune as a deflection took the ball straight to an unmarked forward.  Whereas every deflection and ricochet at their end ended up at the feet of a defender.   Fair enough, they got the early goal and earned the right to defend deeply and in numbers - which they did well.

And we were a bit unlucky when O'Neill's free kick hit the bar and very unlucky when the foul on Price in the box went unpunished.  But the downside was that despite all our possession, we couldn't hit the target until injury time when Pinnock's free kick was saved.  I thought we lacked a bit of understanding in and around the box but hopefully that will improve with time.  We played with pace, but nothing quite clicked in and around the box with players not quite on the same wavelength.

Obviously an awful result, but the performance was nothing like some of our earlier home defeats.

11/11/2015 9:50 am  #2

Re: Tooting 0 Bridges 2

endofthelane wrote:

Obviously an awful result, but the performance was nothing like some of our earlier home defeats.

True, true, at least we went down fighting and kept pressing right to the death. I do confess to feeling a bit deflated this morning though, after the last few performances my expectation levels had risen only to be shot down in flames. I blame Fretters, we were doing alright 'til he showed up again, I'm not one to point the finger but it's his fault.

Did anyone hear who won Man of the Match ?

Last edited by Bog End Ultra (11/11/2015 9:53 am)

11/11/2015 10:01 am  #3

Last night was not helped by weak officials who should have sent off the 11 (two booking),  14 Only booked for a two footed lunge, 10 for stamping on our player. And not giving a clear penalty.

Saying that the officials were not the ones who lack any real fire power up front. In my humble view we desperately need a 20 / 30 goal a season striker. 

11/11/2015 10:53 am  #4

I'm afraid I've seen nothing to suggest that the team is improving in what is a desperately poor league. Last night we lost to another pub side and are making excuses for it!  If we'd been playing decent opposition and lost in this manner then, yes, I would also be on the justification trail, but this is not the case.
We are bumping along with the bottom feeders and people are voting with their feet.  I left long before the end last night as there was nothing to suggest it might be worth staying.
After well over 40 years I'm now at the stage of cursing my season ticket (you may have heard me ranting  -apparently to myself  -now you know otherwise).  I hate having to say all this, but I really don't see a light at the end of this long dark tunnel.

11/11/2015 7:41 pm  #5

My perspective:

Three bridges are one point off the play offs, so they are no mugs. They defended doggedly and they got lucky at times. But they had a commitment and organisation about them.
We were the better team by a way. They had 2 shots on goal, scored both.
We should have had a stone wall penalty.
We hit the crossbar.
I agree that we should NOT have lost yesterday, but we did.
I have certainly seen enough to satisfy me that we are improving. That was some of the best football we've played for quite a while.
Yes you could argue what does it mean if we still lose? And to that point, I would totally agree.
On the point of everyone saying "this is a terrible league", well, is it? What proves that? How do you know? It is what it is, and we are in it! Simple. Sometimes we are far too righteous demanding that we should be in a better league because the league isn't good. Well, if we are struggling in this league, we probably need to look at ourselves, not the quality of the league! I know the two can be judged together, but I think we are arrogant stating that most teams are pub teams...

One last special mention for Chase O'Neill. What an excellent player. Sorry to see that like McVey he is only another loan player and could be gone again in the blink of an eye. Similar to McVey he has a class about him, thought he ran the show last night.

11/11/2015 9:33 pm  #6

One of these days"The Terror" will surprise us all and say something positive about the team, or is everybody else out of step?
I feel all we are missing is somebody up top who knows where the goal is, goodness knows enough chances were created to win most games.
I wonder if Frank is now ruing the day he let Dan go, I am sure he would now relish playing up front with the current style of play which would suit him to a "T". Frank I understand felt he was not fit enough at the start of the season, hence he would not play him, leading him to try his hand elsewhere. But did he really know him, as we all know Dan is not the type of player who will track back or run forever, but give him the ball in or around the box and he comes to life.
I wonder how many more points we would have had by now, but unfortunately a return is not likely so let us hope our current forwards can start finding their scoring boots and we can start progressing upwards.
Starting on Saturday.

12/11/2015 12:27 pm  #7

Dan is not a team player. If things are not played exactly the way he likes it he sulks.  He does not try to get possession of the ball back if he loses it and cannot (or will not) head the ball.  I see him as a luxury; a luxury that a team near the top of the table with a GD of 20 can have.  He is not for a team having to fight every game against the South Parks' and the Three Bridges' trying to scrape a win.  He is for a team that is coasting.

It is a shame, however, that Busy left when he did.  A couple of more games and he would have been getting the service that he thrives on.  But that's football...

12/11/2015 2:30 pm  #8

Have to disagree in part "Ev", yes he does sulk when things are not going right for him, but where would we have been last season were it not for his thirty odd goals?
Agree , tracking back is not his game, but were we a team near the top of the table last season?
Did we not have to fight for every point?
You could hardly call us "coasting".
Yes it is a shame Busy left but if he figured in Frank`s plans he might have stayed. How hard, or not, did Frank try to convince him?
Just can not understand Franks logic regarding both these player`s, players who can score goals are prized at other clubs, but not at ours it seem`s.

12/11/2015 3:07 pm  #9

Jake Baxter works 5 times as hard as Dan Summers

12/11/2015 3:37 pm  #10

I'm not talking about tracking back Alan, I am talking about trying to get the ball back of the player who had just taken it off him.  He could not be bothered and just stood there with his hands on his hip shouting "Aaaah".  He is not as good as he thinks he is.  If he was he would be playing for a Ryman Premier team now and not Carshalton.

12/11/2015 4:46 pm  #11

"Endo" Jake Baxter`s goal return so far is one goal in total and that is three start`s and six as a sub, not as prolific as Dan was, but yes he does work extremely hard but surely putting the ball in the back of the net is more important, we have other players who can do the graft. 
"Ev" we are talking about goal scorer`s and Dan is a proven one, what was it last season, mid thirties!
granted he does have a high impression of himself, or do you call it confidence in his ability to score, given the right type of service, but I would live with his fault`s, purely for his goal return.

12/11/2015 5:17 pm  #12

I would go along with Gary Walker regarding a striker and try and get Paul Vines back. A real proven goal scorer who can do it all.

12/11/2015 5:40 pm  #13

On Vinesey, I'm not going to dis him at all, but in his spell at VCD he eventually got relegated to the subs bench and then transferred off to Thamesmead in Div 1 N.

Is he the same striker that we had?  Well, VCD don't seem to think so.

12/11/2015 6:29 pm  #14

Maybe he just needs the right team with the right supporters.

12/11/2015 7:20 pm  #15

Why not give Vinesey a try. We've had a lot of strikers not up to his class recently.

12/11/2015 9:02 pm  #16

Agree totally with Gary & Ev. Vineyards can't be on that much money at Thamesmead. We should go out & get him. We need a proven goal scorer & Vinsey is the chosen one. Frank be brave , go & get him boy.

12/11/2015 9:25 pm  #17

Must agree with "Endo" Paul has had his day and boy what day`s, but that is history, if VCD have shipped him out what makes people think he can do a job for us.
Do I detect a bit of sentiment creaping into you old timer`s
No, let us remember Paul for what he was,a bloody good striker, and a Tooting legend.

12/11/2015 11:33 pm  #18

Really enjoyed the lively debate and well thought out arguments, especially those set out at the start of this thread.
My only comment - having almost started again recently with another fresh set of players even if everybody is on the same wavelength in terms of how the team should play it will take a while to build up understandings, especially between the front players where time and space is precious.

Hopefully it will come.

13/11/2015 6:50 am  #19

Alan, it has nothing to do with sentiment. We don't know why he left VCD, perhaps he was'nt getting the service he wanted, in the same way Jamie was'nt getting his. Don't forget Vinsey is younger than Jamie as well. I think it would work by spearheading a dual striking force of Gareth & Paul.

13/11/2015 9:44 am  #20

Point taken Geoff, their are always two sides to every story and their may be reasons, other than playing, why he left.
I was not aware he was younger than Jamie, he certainly does not look it, also I would say his fitness levels are nowhere near Jamie`s.
I felt the last time we saw him at Imperial Fields, against Cray I think, I felt he was a shadow of the player we knew and I always felt that we had the best years from him.
But in the unlikely event he ever returns, I would like to be proven wrong.

13/11/2015 9:46 am  #21

"Blimey" I have just noticed I am a "Yoda", what is a Yoda "Bolty" because I have never been circumcised.

13/11/2015 10:14 am  #22

Is Yoda contagious?  If it is I think that Alan should be banned from the ground until it clears up.  I don't like the sound of it at all.

Blimey, first Bondy's hip and now Alan's Yoda...

Last edited by evthedog (14/11/2015 10:30 am)

13/11/2015 12:00 pm  #23

It`s o/k "Ev" I am going to wear one of those white contamination suits on Saturday, all I would ask is, I am going to have a funnel outside connected to a tube to my mouth, if this can be topped up by somebody so I can still sup a pint.

13/11/2015 2:05 pm  #24

Yoda is a Star Wars character Al. An ugly little bleeder with white whispy hair, long pointy ears, sad eyes and a croaky voice. I suppose 4 out of 5 isn't bad.

13/11/2015 3:43 pm  #25

Just like looking in my mirror, except for the hair part.

Board footera