“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09/1/2021 2:14 pm  #1

The passing of a Terrors legend

Really sad news this week, Kenny Holder a local Mitcham lad and Tooting legend passed away a few days ago.  Kenny was a great clubman working his way through the junior and reserves teams before making his first team debut in 1960/1961.

09/1/2021 10:20 pm  #2

Re: The passing of a Terrors legend

So sorry to hear of Kenny Holder`s passing. He was my favourite player when I first started to follow Tooting, more so than Paddy Hasty, and that is saying something. Always gave the game his all. My condolences go to his family at this very sad time

11/1/2021 8:58 am  #3

Kenny had finished before I started going and although his name was mentioned from time to time I think the success of the late 50s players possibly diluted his prominence.  Also, being a defender, he probably didn't get the recognition that he deserved.

11/1/2021 12:49 pm  #4

really sorry to hear this very sad news kenny really was a tooting legend and i feel privaliged to have seen him play many times a local lad who always gave 100% whenever he turned out for the terrors
condolences to the family rip kenny.

13/1/2021 11:50 pm  #5

Kenny joined us in the difficult 1960-61 season and immediately established himself as the right back replacement for the legendary John Harlow. He went on to make almost 300 league appearances  in the 1960s. including an amazing sequence of all 38 matches in 3 consecutive seasons 1965-66,.1966-67 and 1967-68. We have had more celebrated players over the years but have we ever had a better club man? I am proud to have a  framed photo of Kenny defending alongside Alex Stepney with myself and my father as background spectators !  

29/1/2021 12:01 pm  #6

29/1/2021 12:05 pm  #7

Great photo 'Endo'  -  one of yours or an archive ??

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

29/1/2021 12:34 pm  #8

I believe that is the actual photo that Mike is referring to above.  Via Stan.

29/1/2021 1:07 pm  #9

Cheers, thanks very much

29/1/2021 2:20 pm  #10

Photo was taken at Richmond Road, Kingstonians old and wonderful ground. The Tooting players  were, Alex Stepney, catching the ball, next to him was another legend Gordon Holden, and the great Kenny himself. On the far left of the pic with hands on hips (typical Pose) and Nottingham Forest fame,  Albert Grainger.

Thanks to  Mike of Wetherby, Stan the man, EOF  for their  efforts making this  photo available for viewing.

Wonderful memories and times.

29/1/2021 3:44 pm  #11

I think we've narrowed it down to the league game in November 1962 (when Stepney got injured and spent the 2nd half on the wing and Holder went between the sticks) or the Surrey Invitational Cup game in March 1962.

31/1/2021 10:06 pm  #12

Not sure why my father and I were standing among the Kingstonian fans. If you haven't spotted us yet look above the cycles on the advertising hoarding. The supporters club badge on my raincoat lapel can be seen. It is one of the original stud badges (probably before pin badges were invented) and still among my proudest possessions

01/2/2021 5:22 pm  #13

So according to Sherlock Bullock, who managed to identify a Ks player who only appeared in one of the possible games, we can now say that it was the Surrey Invitational Cup semi final  from March 24th 1962.  We won this game with the only goal of the game (In his only 1st team appearance) from Northants fast bowler, Martin Ashenden.

09/2/2021 3:23 pm  #14

Here's a small tribute on the Mitcham History site

https://mitchamhistorynotes.com/2021/02/09/tribute-to-kenny-holder/

11/2/2021 5:03 pm  #15

Great tribute !

Board footera