“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03/2/2015 9:56 pm  #1

Horsham 2 Terrors 2. Full time

Cox with an equaliser FIVE minutes into stoppage time saves us from a fourth straight deteat. Sounded like a feisty ending to the game. Horsham had a player sent off late on too. Khan was injured near the end apparently. Hope it's not too serious. Our other goal came from Sawyer from the spot. Would have been there myself, but have been trying to shake off a cold since Sunday.

Interesting to hear the views of those who braved the elements tonight.

CRAIG TANNERS BLACK AND WHITE ARMY!!!

04/2/2015 8:23 am  #2

Re: Horsham 2 Terrors 2. Full time

I wasn't there last night but when I heard we got the goal in injury time it was a big relief..
There's only been a handful of games in which we've not played well.. Things just don't seem to work out for us. The Footballs good.. I can't fault the attitude of the players.... Just bad luck that we're not higher in the league.

Still in the two cups though, so a chance of some silverwear...
Come On You Terrors !!!!

04/2/2015 9:09 am  #3

We played a bit better than of late.  We moved the ball around a bit quicker - but nowhere near as slick as earlier in the season.  We were a bit unlucky yesterday as Summers missed a great chance when he was 1-on-1, and he also had one cleared off the line.  Sawyer also hit the bar.  And I'm sure their 2nd goal was a cross that just sailed in over the keeper.  Having said that, I still feel that we don't work the opposition keeper as much as we should when you think about the amount of possession we sometimes have.

04/2/2015 10:02 am  #4

gary walker wrote:

I thought sod it.

So did I. Probably go against 'The Filth' next Tuesday though.

04/2/2015 10:42 am  #5

Dare I say it, the last couple of months have been like the relegation year although the football has been better and the luck has been non-existant. Something does seem wrong from the team who had a run of 6 wins from 7 games and were scoring freely for fun, sitting 5th in the league with a game or two in hand and promotion did seem possiable.
Failing to beat any of the bottom four teams home and away is not good enough for a team of our size, but then again are we really as good as we think we are?

04/2/2015 11:10 am  #6

Probably our best football was played with just Summers up front.  Then we had a 3 man central midfield with Clarke and Pinnock sort of wide midfielders/attackers.  And it worked well.  But as Tanner tried to improve the squad he brought in Sawyer and Newton.  Unfortunately I suppose the budget meant that soemone had to go - and that was Clarke.  You could probably argue that Sawyer and Newton are better than Clarke, but it just goes to show that the best players don't always make the best team.

I think back to Newcastle when they were clear at the top and Keegan brought in a mercurial striker in Asprilla.  But it meant that he had to shuffle the rest of the team that did so well earlier.  And Ferguson loved it.

You can also go back to Man City and Rodney Marsh for something similar.

And just about every England manager since Robson.

04/2/2015 11:17 am  #7

gary walker wrote:

Is there any news on Max?

Max has started a career as an author of seductive novels aimed specifically at...................Why have I got this feeling of Deja Vu ?????

04/2/2015 11:34 am  #8

Personally, I thought the best period was when we had Clarke on one flank and Newton on the other. 
So many threats.
But, as I have posted before, the Clarke that started with us was not the Clarke that was released.
And although some now seem to view it differently in hindsight through rose tinted glasses, the Cheadle that left us was not the Cheadle of last season. 

Cox looks a good signing with the funds from the move away of Jelly. Has the ability to take players on that we need and will be even more effective as he learns how best to link in with Sawyer & Summers.

Really concerned about the injury to Khan who has the same ability and, with his youthful exuberance, puts to shame the workload of others in getting box to box.
That was a really poor scything down tackle that saw him carried off last night and deserved a straight red instead of the 2nd yellow that still saw the offender depart. They had already had quite a few digs at him.
I hope that somebody (Andy/Tim?) can come on her with some assurance he is OK.  

04/2/2015 11:47 am  #9

My Twitter alter-ego has obtained exclusive news that the Saidou Khan injury is "not as bad as it looked," The physio said he "got lucky"

04/2/2015 2:13 pm  #10

Can't Gonsalves  play in midweek or do we choose not to play him?  When  he does play we tend to put him at left back when I thought the idea was for him to play at centre half.  Wasn't that why Jordan Cheadle left?  The thing I liked about Jordan was that he would search out the ball in the penalty area and not wait for it to come to him - I wish we had him now!

04/2/2015 3:25 pm  #11

Team selection seems very strange at the moment. Why is a centre half on the bench and a converted midfiled playing centre half?. Bad error by the goalkeeper again in giving the ball straight to one of their forwards. We seem to be gifting too many goals to the opposition by our defenders dwelling on the ball in our own half and losing possession to the opposition. At least Graves always tries to run the ball out of defence quickly!

04/2/2015 3:55 pm  #12

Gonsalves was there last night - an unused sub. Although he came into the side as a centre back, playing him at left back gives us the option of pushing Nathan Gordon into midfield if that's  what Craig chooses to do.

As for Jordan Cheadle, at the risk of being controversial I think some people have viewed his performances with rose tinted glasses on. Don't get me wrong, Jordan is a great guy and would put everything on the line for the team however let's be honest, for a guy of his physical stature he was not a dominant presence in the centre of the defence and throughout last season and the first half of this season he cost us as many goals through individual errors as he scored.  But please don't think I'm singling out Jordan here - throughout the team individual errors and poor decision making have cost us untold points and fans who follow the team regularly now turn up at a game feeling that we need to score at least 2 goals just to have a chance of securing a point

04/2/2015 4:13 pm  #13

Very pleased to hear that Saidou hopefully isn't as badly injured as it looked yesterday.
He is an exceptional player and his reputation is growing.
I hope that he gets some protection from referees.
Many thought it should have been a straight red last night.

04/2/2015 4:28 pm  #14

=13px somebody (Andy/Tim?) can come on her

I beg your pardon !  - Bondy I am so embarrased now !  

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left !

04/2/2015 7:16 pm  #15

On the subject of Cheadle's errors I am afraid that he has not been the only guilty of this. Plenty of the goals against are down the defensive errors!

05/2/2015 12:17 am  #16

I agree Doug. As I said in my post, I'm not singling out Jordan Cheadle because costly individual errors and poor decision making have run throughout the team on and off all season

05/2/2015 12:17 am  #17

You don't appreciate how difficult typing is with these huge banana like fingers Deepee.

Gary - Newton came back too soon last time and is now getting treatment wth a view to recovering fully before his next return.
Better news from Smithy when I spoke to him last Saturday.
A chiropractor has finally diagnosed the true problem and, after a long period of frustration, the treatment he is providing seems to making some progress.

Good to read all these different opinions

05/2/2015 12:56 pm  #18

Tim Marcus wrote:

throughout the team individual errors and poor decision making have cost us untold points and fans who follow the team regularly now turn up at a game feeling that we need to score at least 2 goals just to have a chance of securing a point

Borne out by the fact we have conceded at least 2 goals in a game in 12 out of our last 16 fixtures in all competitions. Our last clean sheet was against Hythe on 11th November (Badiali's debut).

One win in our last 15 league games ! that isn't just relegation form, that's finishing bottom by a country mile form. I blame Hackbridge Harry, not that I think it's his fault, it's just that I blame him for everything.

Come on Tooting......we ARE better than this.

Gary.....Mathematically we're still not safe from relegation but the thing that will save us is the fact we SCORE GOALS.

05/2/2015 4:29 pm  #19

That's right you bloody poo pants... Blame me...

I think the Tooting Youth Firm need to come and say hello.

05/2/2015 5:30 pm  #20

Blimey! Cricket, now youv`e done it.

06/2/2015 8:57 am  #21

No worries Ashtree, nothing a portion of chips wont sort out.

On my way to work this morning resplendant in my Tooting & Mitcham black wooly hat, I passed a beggar outside Wimbledon Station, he said '' Any change mate ? '' I said '' Nope, still have loads of the ball, still play good football but still end up getting beat.''

He never laughed either.

06/2/2015 10:16 am  #22

I thought the wooly hat was meant for the pussy?
he must have thought you were a proper charlie!

Board footera