“The Bogend Forum for Tooting and Mitcham Utd FC fans”

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/2/2022 9:24 am  #1

Relegation zone creeping nearer!

Crikey Toots creeping even nearer  to the relegation zone after Guernsey’s massive win last night, be it against the current bottom club.
What happens next?

10/2/2022 1:26 pm  #2

Re: Relegation zone creeping nearer!

For those who don't know the relegation picture is a bit different this year.  The bottom 2 go down - that seems to be set in stone.  And originally the 3rd and 4th bottom were to be involved in some sort of playoffs, but due to teams folding and other reorganisations, the 4th bottom spot is now safe.

But all 8 of the step 4 teams that finish 3rd bottom go into a pool and will be ranked on a points per game basis.  Some will be involved in a playoff with a step 5 team and some may be repreived depending on other step 5 teams etc.

So the minimum target to avoid the drop is 4th bottom.

10/2/2022 1:59 pm  #3

Thanks endofthelane for the relegation explanation but what a travesty that this club is in this predicament !

10/2/2022 2:17 pm  #4

Well, it looks as if it will be our lowest finish ever.  I think Frank Wilson flirted with the drop in his first season, although he turned it around somewhat after Xmas and finished 7th bottom - our lowest finish to date!

A further look at this season's relegation picture, according to Wikipedia, out of the 8 3rd bottom teams, 2 will be reprieved and 6 will be involved in a playoff.

Edit:

Just checked and Wilson finished 8th bottom.  It was a few years earlier, in the season of 3 managers, when we finished 7th bottom.

Last edited by endofthelane (10/2/2022 2:35 pm)

10/2/2022 2:33 pm  #5

I believe Tanner had two 11th place finishes in his 2 seasons with us.

10/2/2022 3:03 pm  #6

I'm not saying that.  There are a lot of factors involved in hiring and firing.  I wouldn't be getting rid of anyone solely on the basis of league position.

I'll be honest - even when we went down last time, I wouldn't have been annoyed if Frank Wilson had stayed on!

10/2/2022 5:31 pm  #7

I agree Gary.  And having won promotion in such style the previous season, no explanation was ever offered for why the team was not strengthened, NOT throwing money at it, just strengthened.  I remember that the players at our final game at the plod were close to tears.  No blame should be aimed at them or Frank.  And some supporters wonder why some of us have totally lost heart and no longer attend games.  BTW, what ever happened to the team that finished behind us that season?

Will we survive this season?  I think that we will.  However, many thought that relegation under Frank wouldn't happen with just one relegation slot that season.

Never mind though.  The Chuckle Brothers will get another bite of the cherry next season.

10/2/2022 6:50 pm  #8

makes saturdays game a very big one indeed and dont forget that after that we are away to Bracknel and cant see us getting much out of that but does our owner even look at our league position i seriously doubt it,

15/2/2022 9:05 am  #9

If the unthinkable  or thinkable in some quarters that Toots did get relegated what league and likely teams would they be playing against next season?

15/2/2022 9:31 am  #10

I have always presumed we would drop into the Combined Counties league.  But I note that recently the likes of Croydon and Whyteleafe have gone into the Kent League (Now known as the Southern Counties East league).  So possibly we are near the boundary when it comes to handing out relegation places.

15/2/2022 10:06 am  #11

Even thinking about being relegated to the Combined Counties League or South Counties East league, is a complete humiliation. Being Relegated would be a complete disaster for the Team, The Fans and the numerous Volunteers, How did it all come to this!!!!!!!.

Since 2005 :The challenge is to make Tooting & Mitcham United FC the best semi-professional club in the land, one built on sound foundations of good practice in all matters!!

Last edited by Mikem (15/2/2022 10:09 am)

15/2/2022 10:43 am  #12

Totally agree Mikem. My late father and my uncle , loyal  Steptoe TOOTS fans to the day they passed on, would have been devastated with the situation this club has now fallen into !

23/2/2022 6:01 am  #13

With Guernsey picking up points and games in hand it is likely they will overtake Toots in the near future! So as mentioned before the game against Sutton Common Rovers is surely highly important in the coming weeks !

26/2/2022 5:22 pm  #14

Toots even nearer to the relegation zone after todays fixtures and results .What a sorry state of affairs for this great club !

26/2/2022 5:37 pm  #15

Yes.  I just looked at the results and wished that I hadn't.

Dorking and Dulwich are doing well though.

26/2/2022 5:48 pm  #16

Well we drop another place after todays results and another step closer to the combined counties how much longer Mr adkins are you going to leave these two clowns in charge the present situation is a total disgrace.

26/2/2022 7:42 pm  #17

And the next four matches are even harder.

Let us hope that the Chuckle Brothers can pull some rabbits out of the hat.

26/2/2022 9:17 pm  #18

Absolutely tragic performance today. Desperately need a recognized forward. Anyone know what's happening with Connor French and Dontai? (although not sure if either of them are the answer).

26/2/2022 9:22 pm  #19

Andy P wrote:

Absolutely tragic performance today. Desperately need a recognized forward. Anyone know what's happening with Connor French and Dontai? (although not sure if either of them are the answer).

Don't hold your breath for the club to answer your question.

27/2/2022 10:41 am  #20

Cheers Gary.  We get more information out of you in one post than we do from the club in a season.

27/2/2022 11:07 am  #21

Due to the vagaries and complexities of the Isthmian League’s Promotion and relegation process and structures, Tooting are now in the relegation zone. The bottom four clubs can be relegated, 3rd and 4th from bottom have to play in an end of season play off due to  certain unnamed criteria..

So after a hard fought couple of months we managed to reach our target of the relegation zone.

Since 2005: The challenge is to make Tooting & Mitcham United FC the best semi-professional club in the land, one built on sound foundations of good practice in all matters!! (You can’t make this up lol)

27/2/2022 3:17 pm  #22

For the historians of this Great Club a question, has Tooting & Mitcham ever been in such a lowly level similar to this current situation, with seemingly no hope of a change of Managerial and ownership ?
And secondly is there any likely candidates ownership and/or managerially who  given the opportunity ,could take over to give some hope in getting out of this mess?

28/2/2022 7:27 am  #23

I guess after my last posting there is no decent answer to my questions, understandable to those who comment on this site, the club is in a hopeless place physically in the league and in its structure, heart and soul ! Can this now ever change to the heyday seasons, I live in hope!?

28/2/2022 7:46 am  #24

Hello steptoe unfortunatly i am feeling the same as you in the dreadful position the football club finds itself in but there really is nothing we as loyal supporters can do about the situation the reality is we have an owner who talks big when it comes to the club becoming the best non league team in the country but does absolutely jack Rubbish when it comes to action if he did have other intentions he would start by getting rid of the two hopeless clowns he has in charge these two will take us down into the combined counties and this will be the legacy that steve adkins will leave us with. You have no shame adkins or you would sell up and clear off.

01/3/2022 6:15 am  #25

The Sutton game looks to be a real 6 pointer when it eventually gets played. I've just looked at the fixture list and it could get worse for us. Sutton Common Rovers are playing Stains and Chalfont in the coming weeks whilst we have teams that are chasing promotion.

Board footera